Do Cycle Helmets Pose Any Safety Risks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
summerdays said:
I buy my kids helmets at the LBS ... and they are definitely easily adjustable including at the back... though middle one needs a new one and "doesn't like the look" of the ones in the nearest LBS!!

Their school doesn't supply helmets or make it mandatory either ... if they come with helmets then fine but its up to the parent to make that choice.

And every now and again I adjust the fit of them... why can't helmets stay as they are without having to keep adjusting them.

It is the kid's fault not the helmet!

One of the importance issues often missed by the "any helmet will do" brigade is exactly this - your child will grow and this means a certain amount of adjustment or the helmet will cease to function fully as the fit and security decreases.

Cunobelin said:

One of the importance issues often missed by the "any helmet will do" brigade is exactly this - your child will grow and this means a certain amount of adjustment or the helmet will cease to function fully as the fit and security decreases.

A badly fitting helmet can be far more dangerous than no helmet. I rode from the age of three to my late 20's with no helmet, how did I survive? These days I rarely wear one, but when I do it is more likely as a place to mount the camera or because I am at an event that insists on them.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cunobelin said:

I meant I even have to adjust mine regularly ... why do the straps slip - or is my head changing shape:biggrin:

summerdays said:
I meant I even have to adjust mine regularly ... why do the straps slip - or is my head changing shape:biggrin:

Option1 - Because the clips are cheap and "easily adjustable" means easily opened in use, so they slip

Place a couple of stitches in the straps and at the clips and this is resolved.

Option 2 - your head is changing shape ......

Yes - most wheelchair race organisers state helmet and gloves.

The British Wheelchair Racing Association is typical..

For each type of race, there are specific wheelchair equipment requirements that the sponsoring organization will provide. In addition, helmets and racing gloves are necessary to compete.

jonesy said:
Here's a fairly recent review of the effectiveness of cycle helmets:
http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/r...prevent_injury___a_review_of_the_evidence.htm

Interesting..

The project concludes that in the event of an on-road accident, cycle helmets would be expected to be effective in a range of real-world accident conditions, particularly the most common accidents that do not involve a collision with another vehicle and are often believed to consist of simple falls or tumbles over the handlebars.

Would be expected to be effective - not "are effective"

Norm

Blimey, you do try, don't you. :biggrin:

They couldn't say "are effective" unless they were always going to be effective. If they found them to work in most scenarios, they would be "expected" to be effective, but it would depend on the exact circumstances of the accident.

GrasB

Veteran
NigC, I've come to the conclusion that wearing a cycle helmet is purely a personal choice, so if you feel safer & more confident riding with one do so. But I will ask that you don't try & force this on anyone.

My self I've found the only time I've hit my head coming off a bike on the road[/b] is when I've been wearing one so I choose not to road ride with a helmet, that said if I ride off road I'll always wear a helmet as I feel the risk of hitting my head on something is far greater off road where the surface is lumpy & I'm much more enclosed by the immediate environment.

Mark_Robson

Norm said:
Blimey, you do try, don't you. :biggrin:

They couldn't say "are effective" unless they were always going to be effective. If they found them to work in most scenarios, they would be "expected" to be effective, but it would depend on the exact circumstances of the accident.
+1
The report is simply reiterating what most people accept anyway. I don't think that many people will be surprised by it's conclusions.

OP
OP
N

NigC

GrasB said:
NigC, I've come to the conclusion that wearing a cycle helmet is purely a personal choice, so if you feel safer & more confident riding with one do so. But I will ask that you don't try & force this on anyone.

My self I've found the only time I've hit my head coming off a bike on the road[/b] is when I've been wearing one so I choose not to road ride with a helmet, that said if I ride off road I'll always wear a helmet as I feel the risk of hitting my head on something is far greater off road where the surface is lumpy & I'm much more enclosed by the immediate environment.

I'm afraid I can't make any promises there - my daughter will definitely be forced to wear one until she's old enough to make up her own mind (I'm guessing around 50ish :smile:) As for you lot: it's your choice and I'm not going to preach to you about my reasons :smile: Just as long as it's a mutual agreement :smile:

I've got to be honest: I wasn't expecting this thread after, what I throught, was a simple-enough question :whistle: But it's my fault for not doing any research before asking :biggrin:

Safe cycling everyone :smile:

Norm said:
Blimey, you do try, don't you. :whistle:

+1
So glad you agree with the point....

Norm

Cunobelin said:
+1
So glad you agree with the point....
Cunobelin, we've agreed on the fundamental point (personal choice is king) from a long time back :biggrin: and I don't think that anyone has ever suggested that they are a panacea or should be compulsory.

Because a helmet might help in some of the accidents which I might have, I usually wear one. :whistle:

Top Bottom