Do Cycle Helmets Pose Any Safety Risks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
monkeypony said:
Do helmets make you faster?

If not, why do the pros wear them?

They do everything possible to save weight so I can only assume that a standard road helmet makes your head more aero than no helmet at all.

Or do they believe that a helmet will protect their heads in the event of an accident and is therefore worth the extra weight?

Have they all been conned by the manufacturers?

The UCI made it a requirement to wear them, before this came into effect the use was sporadic at best. I have yet to see any research that has studied head accident rates amongst competetive cyclists from before and after the ruling came into place.

For some events (e.g. TT) the use of an aero helmet may decrease drag.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Excellent Nig!!

OP
OP
N

NigC

While I think about it, the research that suggests drivers give less room to helmetted cyclists is a little disconcerting.

I've been a driver been over 20 years and can honestly say I've never paid attention to whether a cyclist had a helmet or not. It must be a subconscious thought and the only way to make it a conscious thought is better education of drivers. While I was learning to drive, "making room for bikes" was barely considered at all (that I remember).

I'd like to think I always give cyclist plenty of room while driving, whether or not helmetted/hi vizzed etc. etc. but of course I'm sure I've been too close (than I would have liked as a cyclist) on the odd occassion.

When I'm cycling, I generally get given a decent amount of space by most motorists and those that are a bit too close will, I'm sure, have still been a bit too close if they'd given me another few centimeters.

It's the longer vehicles that worry me the most - if a car gets too close, it's usually gone before I have time to think about it, but with buses, artics and the like, there's a lot of thinking time in which to panic and make a mistake!

Mark_Robson

NigC said:
While I think about it, the research that suggests drivers give less room to helmetted cyclists is a little disconcerting.

I've been a driver been over 20 years and can honestly say I've never paid attention to whether a cyclist had a helmet or not. It must be a subconscious thought and the only way to make it a conscious thought is better education of drivers. While I was learning to drive, "making room for bikes" was barely considered at all (that I remember).

I'd like to think I always give cyclist plenty of room while driving, whether or not helmetted/hi vizzed etc. etc. but of course I'm sure I've been too close (than I would have liked as a cyclist) on the odd occassion.

When I'm cycling, I generally get given a decent amount of space by most motorists and those that are a bit too close will, I'm sure, have still been a bit too close if they'd given me another few centimeters.

It's the longer vehicles that worry me the most - if a car gets too close, it's usually gone before I have time to think about it, but with buses, artics and the like, there's a lot of thinking time in which to panic and make a mistake!
+1 I couldn't agree more.

OP
OP
N

NigC

Davidc said:
I find a few carefully executed wobbles while they're approaching helps keep busses and lorries further out.

Hmmmm, never tried that one before - could make it interesting :tongue:

Mike!

Guru
downfader said:
..must.. bite... lip.. :blush:

Couldn't really care less what you or anyone else think to be honest, it's a personal choice and i choose to wear one. Although i'd be interested as to why you are biting your lip?

Yes, of course a cycle helmet is not as good / strong or offers as much protection as my Shoei lid and i appreciate if i hit something hard enough in either i'll die.....

Mike! said:
Couldn't really care less what you or anyone else think to be honest, it's a personal choice and i choose to wear one. Although i'd be interested as to why you are biting your lip?

Yes, of course a cycle helmet is not as good / strong or offers as much protection as my Shoei lid and i appreciate if i hit something hard enough in either i'll die.....

+1 billion.

Interesting point you raise -how many of that 60% were also classed as pedestrians?

...or barstoolians?

dondare said:
Helmets might offer some protection if someone throws a bottle at you, or if you're attacked by a drunk.

Or fall off a bar stool?

A MAN paralysed when he fell off a barstool during a night's drinking has applied for legal aid to sue the landlord.

The former butcher, from Cookstown in County Tyrone, Ulster, is suing landlord Michael Newell over the accident six years ago.

He claims Mr Newell, who ran the Copper Rooms bar, was negligent in letting him sit on the 3ft tall barstool when he was clearly drunk.

Solictors have applied for legal aid on his behalf to take the case to the High Court in Belfast.

Mr Joy's mother Violet said last night: `We have been told William has a good chance of getting legal aid.

`We are fully behind him on this this and will be there for him.'

Legal experts have warned that the outcome of the case could have implications for every pub in Britain.

Should he have had his damages reduced for not wearing a helmet?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
NigC said:
I will be booking my daughter for cycling lessons when she's a bit older. I've taken them and I'm sure it helped me. She's still at the stage a learning to control the bike well, so road awareness lessons are a bit too advanced just yet (we stick to open parks ATM). But it's certainly something she'll be taking in the future :becool: And until she's old enough to make her own choice - she's wearing a helmet! :smile:

Maybe they do them at her school ... my son's school have just announced they are going to do Level 1 Bikeability (they've been doing Level 2 for some years now). My son's already done it elsewhere but knowing his great love of school work versus being in the playground with his mates on bikes I know he will want to repeat the course:biggrin:.

OP
OP
N

NigC

summerdays said:
Maybe they do them at her school ... my son's school have just announced they are going to do Level 1 Bikeability (they've been doing Level 2 for some years now). My son's already done it elsewhere but knowing his great love of school work versus being in the playground with his mates on bikes I know he will want to repeat the course:biggrin:.

I've got a feeling they do, but I don't know any details as yet. But if they do, she'll certainly be taking the course :smile:

summerdays said:

Beware of the "School helmets" though....buy a reasonable one, Snell standard, no "Snag points" and with a comfortable and adjustable fitting system.

We were at a bike event a couple of years ago promoting commuting and utility cycling, and next to us was a stall promoting children's cycling. They were issuing helmets at a couple of quid as they were "essential" for the school's projects they carried out, and giving the normal horror stories as a final convincer - a real "hard sell technique".

They couldn't tell us which standards they passed, had no idea how they fitted (or even if they would fit) the children they were selling them to, and to me worst of all telling the adults that the local bike shop's (also had a stall) insistence on fitting and adjusting them to the wearer was a "waste of time and that you were "paying for the service" .

Still they were helmets - so that's alright then?

NigC said:

The Ian Walker paper is to a certain extent backed up by the DfT. They showed drivers images of "stereotype" cyclists in order to gain an insight into drivers "perceptions"

The alarming thing was that one of the outcomes was that helmet and lycra clad cyclist were "experienced" and could cope with close passes so there was no need to give extra room or slow down when overtaking!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cunobelin said:
Beware of the "School helmets" though....buy a reasonable one, Snell standard, no "Snag points" and with a comfortable and adjustable fitting system.

We were at a bike event a couple of years ago promoting commuting and utility cycling, and next to us was a stall promoting children's cycling. They were issuing helmets at a couple of quid as they were "essential" for the school's projects they carried out, and giving the normal horror stories as a final convincer - a real "hard sell technique".

They couldn't tell us which standards they passed, had no idea how they fitted (or even if they would fit) the children they were selling them to, and to me worst of all telling the adults that the local bike shop's (also had a stall) insistence on fitting and adjusting them to the wearer was a "waste of time and that you were "paying for the service" .

Still they were helmets - so that's alright then?

I buy my kids helmets at the LBS ... and they are definitely easily adjustable including at the back... though middle one needs a new one and "doesn't like the look" of the ones in the nearest LBS!!

Their school doesn't supply helmets or make it mandatory either ... if they come with helmets then fine but its up to the parent to make that choice.

And every now and again I adjust the fit of them... why can't helmets stay as they are without having to keep adjusting them.

Top Bottom