Do cycle parking installers think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark barker

Its not just the supermarkets that have problems, none of the 3 independent bike shops in town have any bike parking facilities. If the bike shops aren't getting it right, what hope is there for the rest?

Davidc

Guru
Its not just the supermarkets that have problems, none of the 3 independent bike shops in town have any bike parking facilities. If the bike shops aren't getting it right, what hope is there for the rest?

There are 4 in Taunton and they have 1 sheffield stand between them.

Halfords have about 5 Sheffields though.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
marinyork, they have done precisely the same thing at their stores at Wick, Dingwall and Elgin. I spoke with the local manager, phoned their local manager, wrote to their head office and received no response. I was left with no choice but to boycott their stores which are now closing down all around the country carrying on just as before.:sad: :sad:

I'm sure. I was just amused by the handrails. I don't use Tescos, I just have a look at their cycle parking. Unfortunately Morrisons are better but what the OP talks about is common, their provision is not generous enough if installed properly.

T*s*o are generally cr@p when it comes to provision of secure cycle parking. Had similar at my local T*s*o where they had those racks and they weren't even bolted to the ground. A polite letter to the local manager got this response: nada, nothing, zero.. ignored.

The local Morrisons, on the other hand has *loads* of indvidual sheffield stands concreted into the ground, well-spaced apart and under the roof overhang, so protected from the weather for the most part.

Thumbs up to my local Morrisons and a big YAHBOOSUCKS to my local T*s*o.

I quite agree and had similar and worse experiences with Tescos.

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
What I can't understand is the inconsistency with supermarket ones though,

For example Tesco's get a bad write up in general for their cycle parking (and my local one is no exception there), on the other hand when I was riding though Hexham last month I found these: -

tesco_hexham.jpg

Not undercover and screwed in rather than concreted, but I'd be happy if I found this at my local shop.

(and no I don't just go round photographing cycle parking
tongue.gif
- I was just amazed by how many spaces they'ed allocated :biggrin:)

marinyork

What I can't understand is the inconsistency with supermarket ones though,

For example Tesco's get a bad write up in general for their cycle parking (and my local one is no exception there), on the other hand when I was riding though Hexham last month I found these: -

Not undercover and screwed in rather than concreted, but I'd be happy if I found this at my local shop.

(and no I don't just go round photographing cycle parking
tongue.gif
- I was just amazed by how many spaces they'ed allocated :biggrin:)

Tescos get a bad write up in general, because they are the worst supermarket. If they don't like it (they couldn't give a monkeys) then it's easily resolved, it's not like many of their competitors are hugely better.

The Hexham parking I wouldn't give full marks to because it appears to be quite a long way from the entrance, is not covered and by the looks of it there is not enough space horizontally between racks (or spaces). They have however given enough space between collinear stands. That is interesting though.

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
They were a bit of a trek from the shop. On the other hand they were a lot closer than a lot of the car parking spaces, many of which were behind me when I took that photo.

I agree they wouldn't be top marks but it was an interesting exception to the general Tesco pattern.

mark barker

The Hexham parking I wouldn't give full marks to because it appears to be quite a long way from the entrance
LoL! I think there are users of a supermarket that would benefit from having spaces nearer to the entrance than cyclists! Can you imagine the outcry if a disabled or parent & toddler space was removed to make space for a bike park!?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

marinyork

I know non-standard cycle parking is popular in London but are these Plantlock ones not a bit low for propping/locking a bit too. They look just that little bit too low to me?

marinyork

LoL! I think there are users of a supermarket that would benefit from having spaces nearer to the entrance than cyclists! Can you imagine the outcry if a disabled or parent & toddler space was removed to make space for a bike park!?

It's the problem with reclaiming space from the actual 'car park' to put in cycle parking. It's becoming more common on new builds to put them as far away from the entrance as possible on a bit of reclaimed car park (sainburys are bad at doing this on new builds). It's not me whinging on, it's recommended to have cycle parking visible and as close to an entrance as possible. In examples of bad implementation people really don't use them.

My local Waitrose has Sheffiled stands (but not that many) right outside the front door. They also have a loan scheme whereby they let you have a bicycle trailer to take your goods home in. Nearly full marks to them.

Arch

Married to Night Train
My local Sainsburys has lots of Sheffield type stands, plenty for the number of likely users. The only problem is that they aren't standard size - they are tall, so the cross piece is quite high. It clashes exactly with the height of my handlebars, and is too high to use with my D lock and the top tube. I can use one of the verticals, of course, but there's always a bit of a fiddle to get the handlebars under the cross piece.

But that's a minor issue, and people seem to manage ok.

Norm

... it appears to be quite a long way from the entrance...
But then we are supposed to be the fit'n'active types who have the energy to cycle to the store so we can walk that extra few yards. The lardasses in their cars need to park near the entrance (in the disabled bays) so they don't have to roll themselves too far.
:biggrin:

Top Bottom