Do cycle parking installers think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
My local Waitrose has Sheffiled stands (but not that many) right outside the front door. They also have a loan scheme whereby they let you have a bicycle trailer to take your goods home in. Nearly full marks to them.

Lucky ba$tard$, we have been trying to get them to do that in Edinburgh, but they are just not interested :sad:

What I can't understand is the inconsistency with supermarket ones though,

For example Tesco's get a bad write up in general for their cycle parking (and my local one is no exception there), on the other hand when I was riding though Hexham last month I found these: -

tesco_hexham.jpg

Not undercover and screwed in rather than concreted, but I'd be happy if I found this at my local shop.

(and no I don't just go round photographing cycle parking
tongue.gif
- I was just amazed by how many spaces they'ed allocated :biggrin:)

At the Broughton Street Tesco they've put 2 of those stands in the trolley shed (like the one at the end of your picture) this is a good idea in theory but its in the heart of Studentville and there just isn't enough :-(

What I can't understand is the inconsistency with supermarket ones though,

For example Tesco's get a bad write up in general for their cycle parking (and my local one is no exception there), on the other hand when I was riding though Hexham last month I found these: -

tesco_hexham.jpg

Not undercover and screwed in rather than concreted, but I'd be happy if I found this at my local shop.

(and no I don't just go round photographing cycle parking
tongue.gif
- I was just amazed by how many spaces they'ed allocated :biggrin:)
Sadly, no-one seems to have been using the stands when you took the photo - although the car park is full. :sad:
I don't have a problem with the stands being a short walk away from the store entrance. What would be useful would be for the stands to be close to a trolley park. We usually wheel the filled panniers to the bikes in a trolley. Also nice, would be if the supermarket put up a sign at the main entrance, indicating where the bike racks are. Useful if you're in a strange place.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sadly, no-one seems to have been using the stands when you took the photo - although the car park is full. :sad:
I don't have a problem with the stands being a short walk away from the store entrance. What would be useful would be for the stands to be close to a trolley park. We usually wheel the filled panniers to the bikes in a trolley. Also nice, would be if the supermarket put up a sign at the main entrance, indicating where the bike racks are. Useful if you're in a strange place.

It's against guidance to put them at the extreme fringes of car parks though. It's not like they are put at the edge of a car park with a trade off - then it might be worth it - often they are at the edge of a car park with a very small number of stands. There's no physical reason why a small number of stands can't be very close to the entrance, no reason whatsoever. As for signs, a lot of supermarkets spend more money on the signs than the actual parking. Cycle parking should be so ubiquitous and placed so well that it doesn't really need signs...

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
But it's only poor people who would go shopping on a push bike.

Proper customers will find plenty of space for their 4x4 or audi tw@wagon.

Now, will all you peasants please stop moaning, and bugger off to Iceland where you belong

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Top Bottom