Do I dare ask on a UK site? Tea or Tisane? Or Caf vs herbal/decaf?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I like tea, but don’t do caffeine. So, what to do? I have discovered some great tasting herbal teas, or “tisanes” as they are properly called (as my daughter-in-law pointed out) as a beverage cannot be called a “tea “ if it does not have any tea leaves in it. My fave pick these days is one called Paris by a company called Harney & Sons. Described as a rooibos based fruity tisane with vanilla and caramel flavors, with a hint of lemony Bergamot. (The regular version is based on black tea instead of rooibos).

So, anyone else try and like herbal teas? Non-caffeine drinkers unite!

They’re better than coffee IMHO, but I do like coffee as well... decaf, of course.

(Don't hate me because I’m from the US or because I like non-tea-leaf teas, I still like riding my bikes, that counts for something, right?)

My tea tisane...

13D3D72A-C3F8-4D97-B36D-33E3D89ED6B3.jpeg

and my rides ...

FD20F5BF-CD99-416A-BFBC-30ACEC5283DF.jpeg

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I try to limit my caffeine intake as I am prone to headaches/migraine and also not a good sleeper but not sure it makes much difference to be honest. We have a drink here called Barleycup that I enjoy. https://barleycup.com/

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I find most of those fruity "teas" smell lovely but actually just taste of hot water. I found some with liquorice in which I quite like & one with fennel. I've tried making my own nettle and rosehip - individually not mixed - but I still tend to reach for the PG Tips.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Tea, only if it is leaves and with pot and strainer. Coffee always black and both always caffeine. Green tea very very rarely. Coffee is my main go to.^_^

It's ordinary tea for me, and maybe one coffee per day, which will either be with or without milk, depending on what my taste buds are telling me at the time.
I do sometimes have a lemon and ginger "infusion" - can't call it a tea as explained above - for a change.

My wife doesn't take caffeine for health reasons. She normally drinks "ordinary" decaff tea, but has lately been drinking rooibos/red bush tea at the suggestion of a friend.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I like rooibos campfire blend if I can't drink normal tea but it takes me a lot to want anything other than my regular Kenyan black tea.
I work and reside in the US frequently and my American colleagues often comment on why an English guy is drinking coffee in the office. They have a preconception that English people drink tea non stop. I haven't the heart to tell them that some of us may well do, but the tea needs to be at least palatable and in America, it so very rarely is! They once gave me a gift box of some brand called Bigelows which I gather is viewed as fairly premium, but my god it was terrible. I'm so sorry America, I love you but you can't do tea.

Also agree with Anne, fruit "teas" smell delicious but taste only of water. You may as well drink water and sniff a peach.
Anyway, for no caffeine, I'd go for rooibos.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Roibos for me.. no caffeine or tannin and I find it more refreshing
Me too. I like the Earl Grey flavour as well as the original

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Fresh mint tea, as an alternative to Yorkshire tea or coffee. no disrespect to the OP but the Yanks know sod all about making a decent cup of tea.

nice vintage Bianchi MTB though...

Baldy

Über Member
English breakfast or lemon tea, Black. Not a great coffee drinker. Tend to just drink water when riding.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Has to be freshly ground coffee for me. Only drink it upto late morning, 11ish though. Tea also. Both milk no sugar. Don't like herbal teas, teased with the sweet smell, to taste dishwater.

Instant coffee should be in room 101. There are some good ground decaf coffees and tea available - maybe try those. Stove top pot for the win on taste for coffee.

yello

I find most of those fruity "teas" smell lovely but actually just taste of hot water.

I can find that too, or that the fruit taste is 'added' and not blended (if that makes sense), two seperate tastes. I don't find that so much with herbal teas, and there are some I can enjoy, but I suspect my comparatively heavy coffee intake has killed my taste buds for the more subtle tastes of tisanes.

RoMeR

Über Member
English Breakfast tea and Columbian coffee during the day and a cup of Camomile tea in the evening works for me.

Top Bottom