Do I have GAS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickTB

Veteran
Hi all,
I've been member on here for a long time now, and bought a Marin Lucas Valley in August 2016 to use for London to Brighton. I did that and the bike sat in the garage for a year after I experienced some sciatica problems. It came out briefly last year and is now in full commission as I get back into cycling, covering 12-20 miles per day on my allotted exercise. This is pretty much all road, although I'd like to do some travel paths or something too, but the bike feels a bit flimsy for that. The specs can be found here

My issue is this. I'm bored. I think the bike is in great condition, but it's just not doing it for me. I've found myself looking around at used road bikes and high end hybrids. For what I do, and with a budget of £400 plus whatever I get selling the Marin, should I move it on or do I continue with what is in fairness a decent bike?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Not sure what a high end hybrid will give you over the Marin? Maybe put some racier tyres on it? 25s?
if you think that bike feels flimsy for paths, don’t get a road bike if you want to continue the same terrain...

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
A good road bike with drop bars should give you a more sprightly ride and give a more varied hand position. But will be different.
I would suggest that you keep the current one for a while, until you are sure. Could even fit it with heavier tyres for trails and winter usage.

After all, I thought there was a rule, that you aren't allowed to sell a bike, until the garage is full.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
A good road bike with drop bars should give you a more sprightly ride and give a more varied hand position. But will be different.
I would suggest that you keep the current one for a while, until you are sure. Could even fit it with heavier tyres for trails and winter usage.

After all, I thought there was a rule, that you aren't allowed to sell a bike, until the garage is full.
Tyres could be an idea. Maybe a set of heavier tyres and I could hit some gravel paths. What kind of tyre would you recommend?

Sharky

Guru
Tyres could be an idea. Maybe a set of heavier tyres and I could hit some gravel paths. What kind of tyre would you recommend?
I'm not the one to recommend tyres for off road as I never go off road. The heaviest I've used are 28mm Conti Contacts which are great for some of the back roads around our way. I'm sure others will advise.
Cheers

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There's no guarantee that if you are currently not enjoying cycling much, that replacing a perfectly good bike with something else, is going to make any difference. You could end up wasting your cash and achieving nothing.
No matter what sort of machine you are riding, you have to be in the mood for a ride, otherwise it isn't going to do anything for you. I know people who keep changing cars for reasons of being "bored" with their motor, and every time it's the same; six months later they are getting just as bored with the replacement vehicle, so the cycle repeats itself over and over again. They are never satisfied, and never have any money, because every time they change vehicles they are losing a big chunk.

The Marin Lucas Valley is a pretty good bike that is not flimsy, by any means, and will be perfectly suitable for path/gravel track riding. For extra comfort do as others have suggested and get the widest tyre that has frame clearance. I think the bike comes with 28mm tyres, which are very comfortable, but you may be able to fit 32mm, although you may need to check that out with your LBS.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My advice would be to consider whether or not you enjoy cycling. Please excuse me but it sounds to me as though you entered London to Brighton as a challenge of some sort, for some reason gave cycling another go three years later and now lockdown has turned you towards cycling again. I feel you're at best 50/50 about really enjoying cycling and it's something you turn to from time to time. Nothing wrong with that but buying a new bike won't change this long-term, possibly it would have a short-term impact.

In the last few weeks I've seen hundreds of riders who have clearly pulled their bike out from the back of the garage because of Covid-19. Nothing wrong with this at all but I'm sure 90% will put the bike back in the garage when this is over.

One Sunday the number of cyclists I saw was such I began counting. In 2-3 hours I saw 150+. This just never happens. I split the count between those I'll describe as roadies, for want of a better word, based on the bike and kit, and others, generally in civvies on a flat bar. The split was 50/50. This is something I've never seen or noticed before. Riding is currently one of very few activities people can undertake with any freedom. That's the driver and not a new found love of cycling. No criticism of anyone on this simply a realistic assessment of what my own eyes show me.

It's completely unscientific and based on one ride on one day. To which I'd add I continue to see large numbers of people riding who appear to be doing this because of Coronavirus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
My advice would be to consider whether or not you enjoy cycling. Please excuse me but it sounds to me as though you entered London to Brighton as a challenge of some sort, for some reason gave cycling another go three years later and now lockdown has turned you towards cycling again. I feel you're at best 50/50 about really enjoying cycling and it's something you turn to from time to time. Nothing wrong with that but buying a new bike won't change this long-term, possibly it would have a short-term impact.

In the last few weeks I've seen hundreds of riders who have clearly pulled their bike out from the back of the garage because of Covid-19. Nothing wrong with this at all but I'm sure 90% will put the bike back in the garage when this is over.

One Sunday the number of cyclists I saw was such I began counting. In 2-3 hours I saw 150+. This just never happens. I split the count between those I'll describe as roadies, for want of a better word, based on the bike and kit, and others, generally in civvies on a flat bar. The split was 50/50. This is something I've never seen or noticed before. Riding is currently one of very few activities people can undertake with any freedom. That's the driver and not a new found love of cycling. No criticism of anyone on this simply a realistic assessment of what my own eyes show me.

It's completely unscientific and based on one ride on one day. To which I'd add I continue to see large numbers of people riding who appear to be doing this because of Coronavirus.

That pretty much sums it up, but with one caveat. I had twin boys in between and the back issue otherwise I'd definitely be out more. I wouldn't say I'm a dedicated roadie by any means, but I do take a keen interest and lockdown has definitely peaked that interest. I'd go so far as to say it's stopped some potentially wobbly moments with my reaction to the whole situation. Maybe the best thing to do is to ride it out (No pun intended) and see how I feel once we are back to "normal", and just add some wider tyres and have a go at the paths

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That pretty much sums it up, but with one caveat. I had twin boys in between and the back issue otherwise I'd definitely be out more. I wouldn't say I'm a dedicated roadie by any means, but I do take a keen interest and lockdown has definitely peaked that interest. I'd go so far as to say it's stopped some potentially wobbly moments with my reaction to the whole situation. Maybe the best thing to do is to ride it out (No pun intended) and see how I feel once we are back to "normal", and just add some wider tyres and have a go at the paths
Ah! I did take note of the sciatica in my response but you didn't mention the twins. I well recall the challenge of getting a ride when our three were small. That went on for many years. The family pressures make a huge difference.

This post shows you have greater interest than you suggested before. Getting through the wobbly bits is VERY important.

Provided the tyres aren't really expensive get those now and see how you feel in a few months regarding a different bike. For the moment just use it as a way to keep your head straight, the exercise is an important but secondary benefit.

I've significantly changed my riding habits but I'd be in a bad place without it. Wobbly bits are very common, no matter what's on the surface.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
Ah! I did take note of the sciatica in my response but you didn't mention the twins. I well recall the challenge of getting a ride when our three were small. That went on for many years. The family pressures make a huge difference.

This post shows you have greater interest than you suggested before. Getting through the wobbly bits is VERY important.

Provided the tyres aren't really expensive get those now and see how you feel in a few months regarding a different bike. For the moment just use it as a way to keep your head straight, the exercise is an important but secondary benefit.

I've significantly changed my riding habits but I'd be in a bad place without it. Wobbly bits are very common, no matter what's on the surface.

Yeah, my apologies. I should have made it clearer in my initial post. I also have an 8 year old girl with all the difficulties they produce as they get older! I do agree re physical exercise being secondary to my mental health, and it has definitely shown me that exercise is my particular coping mechanism. a short daily ride with small "wins" PB's or whatever and I feel so much better for it.

Jody

Stubborn git
I think you would be surprised at how much a "flimsy" bike would take to break it. It might be a skinny tired hybrid but would still be capable of gravel tracks and light forest trails.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The main problems with skinny tyres is the harsh ride and higher risk of pinch flats or rim damage over bumps. It's surprising where a bike on sporty tyres can be made to go in the hands of a sympathetic rider who knows how to minimise the punishment the bike gets. Most bikes can be made to do most things if need be, it's just that they may not be optimised for the particular type of use. Hybrids and to a certain degree, tourers fall very much into the jack of all trades categories. They may not excel at any one thing, but they are adequately capable of several different things.

Top Bottom