Do I need a chain whip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

I was thinking, as I struggled to find my chain whip from last time I needed it, do I really need to go buy a new chain whip to remove my cassette?

Would it work to use a length of old chain, held tightly in the locked jaws of a pair of Molegrips?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well if it's an old cassette that you are changing then give it a go....
If not.. a new chain whip for you...

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Thanks - I can appreciate that an old piece of chain may be stretched a bit but for the job of loosening a cassette I can't think what the risks would be, new or old cassette?

Jonathan M

There used to be a lockring tool that didn't require a chainwhip, instead using the drivetrain to rotate the casette while the tool held the lock ring in position by bracing against the frame.
Can't remember what it was called, and have not seen one for years. Would be handy for a toolkit to be used in remote places though.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Jonathan M said:
There used to be a lockring tool that didn't require a chainwhip, instead using the drivetrain to rotate the casette while the tool held the lock ring in position by bracing against the frame.
Can't remember what it was called, and have not seen one for years. Would be handy for a toolkit to be used in remote places though.

That was the hypercracker IIRC. Not been available for a while now, and (as you say) more of a side-of-the-road tool than a workshop thing.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
try a motor spares shop, the oil-filter removal tool looks suspiciously like a chain-whip at much lower dollar…

HelenD123

Legendary Member
TheDoctor said:
That was the hypercracker IIRC. Not been available for a while now, and (as you say) more of a side-of-the-road tool than a workshop thing.

You can get them from Spa Cycles;).

EDIT: I can't find them on their website, but Spandex definitely bought a couple recently.

02GF74

Über Member
take one old chain and a strip of steel. drill hole in end of steel strip big enough for the pin to go through and attach chain. job done.

for a stubborn cassetted, inflate tyre and hold the metal strip agains the tyre or wind string round both to keep it in place. the tyre prevents damage to rim/spokes.

Top Bottom