Do I need a Compact front mech?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow down

Thinking of switching one of my bikes to a compact chainset, currently Campag Veloce 39/53 with a 12-25 cassette. If I swap to a 50/34, do I really need a new front mech (or a medium cage rear mech for that matter), or will the standard mechs cope?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Received wisdom is that the standard mech works fine, but the compact one is a little smoother. Can't speak for the rear mech, but you're only asking it to wrap an extra few links of chain, so I'd try it and see.

I expect someone who's actually done this with Campag will be along soon. I've only done it on Shimano (taking a 52/42/30 set to 48/38/24).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Front mechs are usually same except those for 3 chain rings, then there might be a difference - i.e. more travel.

You'll need to move the mech up or down the down tube so there is about 3mm clearance of the cage to biggest chain ring.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Membrane said:
Which Shimano range offers a 48/38/24?

Any of them once you've changed all the rings!:blush:
It was actually a Sora. And yes, I did change all the rings. It's not a facetious reply.

Membrane

TheDoctor said:
Any of them once you've changed all the rings!:blush:
It was actually a Sora. And yes, I did change all the rings. It's not a facetious reply.

Ah, right. I was wondering because that 24T difference falls outside of Shimano specifications (they are specified up to a 22T difference).

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Indeed. I actually wanted a 26T inner ring, but the LBS had run out. I'm using a 13-26 cassette, and a 25" bottom gear struck me as being a little overkill. Having said that, it came in handy in the alps and North Wales.

Top Bottom