Do I need a new bike? Loud thinking: gravel vs touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Iorek

Iorek

Doesn't stop you visiting Spa Cycles in Harrogate and having a browse since, I assume, you are not too far

@vickster is correct, they don't and they are quite inflexible about it (for example, Fairlight splits the shop-facing costs of the C2W scheme with the customer 50/50; if the deal is right I would be prepared to cover it in full as the tax break is the main gain here compared to the programme overhead)

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Sort out the TdF and keep using it.

there are advantages in newer stuff, like disc brakes, the wheels that weight under a kg, or derallieurs that change gears more reliably etc. Or simply geometries that are more suitable for riding all day long.

There are, indeed.
However, there can be disadvantages to all those too. People tend to focus on the positives - there's no shortage of them highlighted in ads, articles, videos etc. I'd encourage people to think also of the disadvantages which are rarely so obvious.

I've met the poor guy having to pay almost as much as my bike cost to get a tiny part to fix a disc brake leak. And I've found the most wonderful camping spots that I never would have considered (or enjoyed) with an expensive bike. I can load an extra 10kg in water when I need to without worrying about wheels folding. Then again, my rim brakes eventually wore out my rim. ^_^
Swings and roundabouts. We're all different.

simongt

Guru
'Do I need a new bike - ?' :whistle:
Do you need a new as opposed to a good quality used one - ?
A couple of years ago, when my 1998 GT Outpost finally bit the dust, I replaced it with a 1992 but excellent condition Super Galaxy. :okay:
Just saying - ! ^_^

Top Bottom