Do I need a new derailler hanger?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

faster

Über Member
it will still need aligning.

Maybe, but it's more than likely that it will be perfect out of the box.

Has anyone ever needed to adjust a new hanger? If I received one that needed adjusting, i'd send it straight back.

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe, but it's more than likely that it will be perfect out of the box.

Has anyone ever needed to adjust a new hanger? If I received one that needed adjusting, i'd send it straight back.

I may be wasting my time here, often the frame is out, not just the hanger which is designed to be fitted and aligned. I have never once fitted a hanger that did not need tweaking to get perfect.

faster

Über Member
I may be wasting my time here, often the frame is out, not just the hanger which is designed to be fitted and aligned. I have never once fitted a hanger that did not need tweaking to get perfect.

I was going to disagree with you about the frame being out of line being an issue, but I've just noticed something on the OP photos.

On all my bikes with replaceable hangers, the hanger is on the inside of the drop out, so it automatically aligns itself with the outer lock nut on the axle. As such, the frame being out is largely irrelevant.

I didn't realise some hangers bolt to the outside of the drop out, which means that the flatness of the surface onto which the hanger is bolted is critical. This doesn't seem like a very clever bit of design.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I have the new hanger now.
Does anyone know what torque setting I need when fitting the hanger? No instructions came with it.

C R

Guru
Can ayone help me on this question? Thanks
Is there a torque rating mark on the frame?

Globalti

Legendary Member
BUY A NEW HANGER! Derailleur hangers are cast in a brittle alloy so as to be sacrificial and save the frame in an impact, as yours did. The metal work-hardens so bending it back will only hasten the day it snaps. You can get it straightened temporarily by a bike shop with a hanger gauge but while you're there ask them to order a replacement or even two, then throw away the bent and straightened hanger.

si_c

Guru
Just tighten it up till it feels tight. Check it over when you wash the bike - I check all the bolts when I do that to make sure none have come loose.

Top Bottom