Do I need a new derailler hanger?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
On my 2011 Specialized Allez, I recently had a fall on a roundabout (diesel or something on the road). Bike went from under me and I fell on my right side. When I got up and looked at the bike , at first it seemed OK, but later noticed on an uphill, that when I was on the small chainring and on a low gear on the rear, the derailler hit the spokes of the rear wheel.

Does this mean the hanger is bent or might it be something else?

On the pic with the circles on it, I've tried to show the scuff/impact points made with the road.
I've tried to show how the derailler appears to be bent inwards.
Bike's rideable, but only on the big chainring at the moment.
Thanks

The answer is yes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
^^^^^ +1, it might realign successfully or it might not, even if you fit a new un that will need 'fine tuning' with an alignment tool

Last edited:

rrarider

Veteran
I wouldn't try to straighten it whilst it is still attached to the frame. The force will be transmitted to the frame which might bend, or worse, crack.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't try to straighten it whilst it is still attached to the frame. The force will be transmitted to the frame which might bend, or worse, crack.

Any bike frame which is so weak that it won't tolerate a derailleur cage being realigned whilst still fitted to the bike is not fit for purpose. It's piece of flimsy junk.

Top Bottom