Fall when stationary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Ive got a Giant Defy 2 road bike with SPD pedals. I was at the traffic lights today sitting with one foot unclipped and fell to the other side (very embarrassing!). Anyway, the bike fell onto the side where the cassette and chain, etc are. No damage other than when I change onto the lowest cog, it takes a minute or two to go on. Also when I'm on the higher cogs, the chain appears to be slipping. What could be the problem and how can it be fixed?

lutonloony

Über Member
As a guess bent rear hanger, although I'm sure better people will be along soon. Picture or RD from behind will probably help them

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
The rear hanger and all these things don't seem to be very sturdy because when I fell, it was low impact - I wasn't even moving!

kiriyama

Sounds like a bent hanger to me. It's designed to bend or break. Saves more expensive/complicated bits from breaking.

The rear hanger don't seem to be very sturdy

The hangar is designed to be sacrificial. If it wasn't it would be an integral part of the frame so you can imagine the problems you would have in that case, especially if the hangar snapped which they can quite easily do in an impact.

£9 for a hangar, (LINKY), v's potentially a new frame, seems like a great idea to me buddy :okay:

How do I unbend it - do I just pull it forwards?

Basically yes, it might take a few tweaks to set it right, and depending on how much bending needs doing you do need to consider metal fatigue as well.

kiriyama

Yeah i would give it a little bend back, your gears still might be a little off, but it will work until you can fit a replacement.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Ive got a Giant Defy 2 road bike with SPD pedals. I was at the traffic lights today sitting with one foot unclipped and fell to the other side (very embarrassing!). Anyway, the bike fell onto the side where the cassette and chain, etc are. No damage other than when I change onto the lowest cog, it takes a minute or two to go on. Also when I'm on the higher cogs, the chain appears to be slipping. What could be the problem and how can it be fixed?

I've done that, on a recumbent. You get up very quickly after it, don't you? Anyway, I can't help with technical advice - I only came on to give you the comment I received at the time: "Ha ha ha, ya dick!"

GC

I concur with others who diagnosed a bent hanger. However, bending it back is not all that easy. Firstly, it has to be bent to a very precise position and this is best done with the right tool, usually not part of every home mechanic's arsenal due to cost.
Secondly, the sacrificial hanger is made from aluminium. This material work-hardens as it bends. It means that bending it back doesn't reverse the bend but places another bend adjacent to the first one. Imagine forming an S in two stages. To bend it back to the original position without an S requires you to remove it and hammer it on a flat anvil.
For all that trouble, most people will simply buy a new hanger. Buy two, one for spare. Remember that real, hard-core cyclists wear the spare one on a leather thong around the neck, as some sort of gnarly jewelry. Those in the know will recognize it in the pub and buy you beer.

If your frame is made from steel, it probably doesn't have a sacrificial hanger. Don't fiddle with this, just take it to a bike shop who can prove to you that they have the right tool.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just a tip someone on here said once. When you stop, always turn your handlebars the same way as your unclipped foot, that way, you will always lean in the right direction. It works.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Seconded the advice to fit a new hanger. If you bend the original one it will definitely snap sending your derailleur into the spokes with catastrophic results. Get to a good bike shop and order two of them, they are expensive but important.

Top Bottom