Do I need Loctite for chainring bolts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having discovered that two out of three of the Scott's chainrings were attempting to go AWOL, I'm awaiting a proper chainring bolt tool from SJS.
Is that it, apart from more regularly checking, or is a dab of some threadlock a good move?
TIA.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Having discovered that two out of three of the Scott's chainrings were attempting to go AWOL, I'm awaiting a proper chainring bolt tool from SJS.
Is that it, apart from more regularly checking, or is a dab of some threadlock a good move?
TIA.
I use a dab of Blue Loctite on my chainring bolts ( and the mudguard stays etc ) I even had a Nyloc bolt eventually vibrate free ( on the suspension block fixing bolt on a Brompton) so I used loctite there as well. Loctite Blue isn’t a permanent fix like the 638 and similar formulations.

Venod

Eh up
I can't see it doing any harm, but if they are tightened correctly threadlock shouldn't be needed.
Once you have the tool tighten them and if they come loose then use the threadlock , they may not have been tightened correctly previously.

I'd just clean the threads, grease and do up well. Have never had a chainring bolt work loose at all. Conceivable that removing them at some point may become an issue. Grease should also help with that.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Never needed it all the years I have been cycling, but if you are having problems with loose bolts then I would go for it.

I've just threadlocked all my mudguard bolts after having one ping off and another come loose.

Back in the 80s I would lose chainring bolts but I haven't had this for decades. I suspect they are done properly at the factory.

I'd only bother if I had found loose bolts on the chainset. Otherwise I'm leaving it alone.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Resounding 'yes use it' from me. No downside and all upside. Medium strength. How often does one undo chainring bolts? Almost never till replacement (or one or other ring).
To those who say 'never needed it'; recommend you consider learning from (taking into account) the experience of others. I've never broken a chain, but I know other who have, so I carry a chain tool and spare quicklink.

Top Bottom