do i need more kit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
What's with the front wheel Keef? The hub area that is.

Never seen owt like it.

KEEF

Veteran
:smile::laugh::laugh::laugh::smile::laugh::laugh:You need that front brake to stop it or the tool box will pass you:laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh I forgot to mention the charging system for the power tools:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

KEEF said:

Ha..

I used to do EXACTLY that on my first "grown up" bike. It was seriously, life threateningly dangerous and falling to pieces. It's why I got into fixing bikes - I had no choice.

Bought from a 2nd hand shop, not a bike shop, the handlebars were too high, stem came off riding down a dual carriageway. Mudguard mount between frame and rear brake calliper rusted through and snapped, also not attached at chainstays = mudguard spun round and wedged under tyre at speed

Something ALWAYS broke, I had a plastic toolbox permanantly bungeed to the rear rack (thankfully the rack never fell off!!)

Downward

Guru
I have this on my Hybrid
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_Compact_Survival_Tool_Wedge_Saddle_Bag/5220000130/
Anyone know which bracket I need to put on my Road Bike so I can transfer between the 2 ?

It contains 7 function folding tool, 8 and 10 mm box wrenches, 9mm box with dual spoke wrench, universal chain tool, 2 tyre levers and a patch kit.
Also carry mini pump, inner tube, more tyre levers, elastic bands and surgical gloves (Damn chains)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I have this on my Hybrid

£30? - I only paid £5 for my Aldi one and it came with some essential tools.

Yeah I know there are quality differences, but I failed to notice any.

Moodyman said:
I have this on my Hybrid

I notice the differences. Owning both sets (bought the Aldi one for a "leave on when bike is left, if it gets nicked big deal")

The multitool is that on sale in poundland, with some ring spanners pressed from processed cheese which went straight in the bin, and some non-reinforced plastic tyre levers that I can bend between my fingers.

The Aldi bag is OK though, generously sized and expands. Shame no light mount though....since when fitted I can't also use my seatpost mounted light.

Also the Topeak one is more weather resistant (sprayed the Aldi one with Fabsil to give it more resistance)

Downward

Guru
Moodyman said:
I have this on my Hybrid

Didn't pay £30 for it, Cost me £15 and it's lasted me 2 years so far in all weathers.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
As others mentioned, I'd add a tyre boot and zip-ties and would bung a fiver in the P*ncture repair kit for emergencies... like beer. An emergency nibble is not a bad idea either, nor is a painkiller...

I no longer use a saddle-pack, but carry all my essentials into a cannister that fits the bottle cage. Having the weight lower down improves the handling feel of the bike and is easy to swap from steed to steed.

ASC1951

Guru
MajorMantra said:
Looks like that multitool has a chain tool though ASC1951.
Fair point, although with modern chains I find I need a bit more leverage, so I use the Park Tools Mini Brute.

I would leave out his adjustable spanner and the patches.

hillrep

Veteran
also take hand pump, hydration pack e.t.c but just for emergency kit this is what i take

anyone think there is owt else i should be taking to be on the safe side?

sure there will be somthing i could do with and better for you good folks to point it out now rather than me find out 30 miles from home

As others have said, a few zip ties and some disposable gloves can be really useful.

I'm not sure if you do or not, but inner tubes and repair kits are only useful if you have a pump with you :-)

MajorMantra

ASC1951 said:
Fair point, although with modern chains I find I need a bit more leverage, so I use the Park Tools Mini Brute.

Funnily enough I just got one of those in the post today. Much nicer than the piece of crap from the EBC toolkit I had before, which self destructed.

e-rider

crappy member
You guys carry so much kit. I do carry an Alien 2, tube and tyre lever and park patch kit but in 20 years have never needed anything more than to fix punctures.

The OP kit isn't good. Roll the tube, get plastic levers and bin that devil's claw. Also bin the repair kit and get park pre-glued patches.

Top Bottom