Do I need to change the cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
hi all,

Context:
I'm hooking my TT bike up to a turbo until TT season starts. It's Athena with Campag Bullet 80s, using friction shifters. I want to swap on my old commuter wheel, a Miche reflex which has a Veloce cassette.

I'm hoping I don't need to buy a new expensive Athena cassette just for a turbo wheel.

Questions:
1. As I have friction shifters can I just swap on the wheel Veloce and all?
2. Do I need an 11 speed cassette?
3. Can any 11 speed cassette go on to the freehub that held the Veloce and function with Athena?

Cheers

Tp

Ajax Bay

Guru
The friction shifters will allow you to select/fine tune to any set of sprockets compatible with your chain width (provided the RD can reach from one side to the other - if it cant maybe you don't use top and largest on the turbo (or need to)).

hi all,

Context:
I'm hooking my TT bike up to a turbo until TT season starts. It's Athena with Campag Bullet 80s, using friction shifters. I want to swap on my old commuter wheel, a Miche reflex which has a Veloce cassette.

I'm hoping I don't need to buy a new expensive Athena cassette just for a turbo wheel.

Questions:
1. As I have friction shifters can I just swap on the wheel Veloce and all?
2. Do I need an 11 speed cassette?
3. Can any 11 speed cassette go on to the freehub that held the Veloce and function with Athena?

Cheers

Tp
1. Yes

2. Ideally yes.

3. Any Campag 11 speed cassette will fit.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What speed is the Veloce cassette, @Tin Pot ? As I've suggested the cassette does not need to be 11 speed (don't agree with rr). You will probably wish to swap out your 11 speed chain anyway, and save it to reinstall on your TT speed machine when you put the current wheel back on. A 10 speed, even a 9 speed chain (for the Veloce cassette) should work OK on a turbo on your 11sp chainwheels. Not as if the changes are going to be under any stress.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
The friction shifters will allow you to select/fine tune to any set of sprockets compatible with your chain width (provided the RD can reach from one side to the other - if it cant maybe you don't use top and largest on the turbo (or need to)).

I didn't think of the chain - it's a kmc X11. I'm not that keen on taking off and keeping the chain due to bad memories fixing and finding spare pins and fixing it again. The Veloce cassette is ten speed.

I'll probably get a miche primato 11 cassette, a cheaper option. Plan is to turbo through the season so I need to be able to detach it for time trial and so forth fairly frequently later in the season.

Also, I'm looking at trainer road with virtual power so I'll need to set the resistance at the start of the session and change gearing to hit output targets.

Top Bottom