Do I need to replace my Conti GP 4 Season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steppylud

Über Member
Hello.

My Conti GP 4 Seasons have done 1350 miles so far, which a fair bit has been on my commute to London. The other day I was cycling home and got a puncture, I was only 1/2 a mile from home so rather than sorting by the roadside I just walked the bike home.

When I went to replace the tube last night I found a straight line slit in the tube but could not find anything wrong with the tyre on first inspection. So carried on installing the new tube. When pumping up, and got to full 110psi this tube burst with a massive hole. On closer inspection I noticed about a 10mm straight slit in the wall of the tyre, quite close to the rim.

Would this be enough to cause a blowout when I pumped it? Or did I just get unlucky with a dodgy tube? Wondering if I actually need to replace the tyre....?

avsd

Guru
A photo would help. It sounds like you need a new tyre. I would check your brake blocks are not rubbing against your tyres when the brake lever is pulled.

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
Photo attached

Attachments

• 1495088335659691129442.jpg
    1495088335659691129442.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 52

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It isn't going to get any better, it's time for a one way trip to the bin for that one. On a related note, I have always thought Continental tyres are particularly thin and vulnerable in that area and in years gone by have scrapped a couple of Continental MTB tyres due to sidewall damage that I haven't experienced with other brands.

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
Cheers all.

Didn't realise it was that bad until the cold light of day. In the bin it goes. Of to the shop I go today.

Trickedem

Guru
I've had exactly the same issue with 4 seasons. I will never buy these again as their quality control is shocking. You could see that mine had been badly made, as there was less rubber in the area of the slit

U

User33236

GP4 Seasons do seem to be a bit of a mixed bag; the current ones on my commuter have done over 4200 miles without issue.

OP is doing the sensible thing with that one and sticking it in the bin.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have also hung up an otherwise perfectly good pair of Conti tyres that came on my 2016 road bike. Punctures galore! And not a single one since removing them.
Not a tyre brand I would own through choice.

Top Bottom