Do I need to replace my Conti GP 4 Season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I used a pair till they wore out, There are better tyres out there.:okay:

Hello.

My Conti GP 4 Seasons have done 1350 miles so far, which a fair bit has been on my commute to London. The other day I was cycling home and got a puncture, I was only 1/2 a mile from home so rather than sorting by the roadside I just walked the bike home.

When I went to replace the tube last night I found a straight line slit in the tube but could not find anything wrong with the tyre on first inspection. So carried on installing the new tube. When pumping up, and got to full 110psi this tube burst with a massive hole. On closer inspection I noticed about a 10mm straight slit in the wall of the tyre, quite close to the rim.

Would this be enough to cause a blowout when I pumped it? Or did I just get unlucky with a dodgy tube? Wondering if I actually need to replace the tyre....?

It sounds like, yet another ( fairly typical of these tyres, in my experience ) bead failure, at a fairly low mileage. I'd replace it / them with something not made by Continental, if it was me.

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
So what is the general recommendation? Or is that a can of worms? Fairly hard wearing, able to support the weight of a fairly ahem, heavy rider, not too heavy?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Michelin Endurance have barely any puncture protection

Ajax Bay

Guru
Michelin Endurance have barely any puncture protection
Have to say, this very reputable bicyclerollingresistance.com site makes quite the opposite assessment, assuming you meant the Pro4 Endurance model.
My Conti GP 4 Seasons have done 1350 miles so far
At the moment I have the Michelin Pro 4 Service Course (in 25 but measure 26.5 on 15mm rims) and both looking good (rear 3200km, front 3800km).
My previous front tyre was a Continental GP 4S and it did 7830km before I replaced it, like for like. Showing a few nicks by the end, it had not punctured in that time and I only changed it because I had a 1000km audax that I wanted to have fresh tyres for. On the rear the Continental GP 4S only lasted 5000km. Note that the Continental GP 4S 28-622 only measured 26.1mm wide on 15mm rims at 100psi.
I have just bought a Continental GP 4000 S2, in 28. On a 19mm rim this measures 29mm at 100psi Edit: I will not be running it at 100, more like 70psi and it's only 25mm high, so it should fit my frame with mudguards on. This tyre has less puncture protection than GP 4S but has markedly lower rolling resistance than all similar tyres with a decent level of puncture protection YMMV.

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Have to say, this very reputable bicyclerollingresistance.com site makes quite the opposite assessment, assuming you meant the Pro4 Endurance model.

At the moment I have the Michelin Pro 4 Service Course (in 25 but measure 26.5 on 15mm rims) and both looking good (rear 3200km, front 3800km).
My previous front tyre was a Continental GP 4S and it did 7830km before I replaced it, like for like. Showing a few nicks by the end, it had not punctured in that time and I only changed it because I had a 1000km audax that I wanted to have fresh tyres for. On the rear the Continental GP 4S only lasted 5000km. Note that the Continental GP 4S 28-622 only measured 26.1mm wide on 15mm rims at 100psi.
I have just bought a Continental GP 4000 S2, in 28. On a 19mm rim this measures 29mm at 100psi so it should fit my frame with mudguards on. This tyre has less puncture protection than GP 4S but has markedly lower rolling resistance than all similar tyres with a decent level of puncture protection YMMV.

Pro4 endurance v4's. Puncture rer tyre within a month of switching over from durano plus's

vickster

Legendary Member
Pro4 endurance v4's. Puncture rer tyre within a month of switching over from durano plus's
I had maybe one in 2500 miles, they did wear out though. Nice ride however

My 23mm Vitoria Rubino pro slicks are serving me well on that bike currently

Experiences vary with tyres. I tend to buy whatever looks good and is on special. The Rubinos will get replaced with 25mm gatorskins when they wear

Not a daily commuter though. The one tyre I really did like riding was M+

Ajax Bay

Guru
Pro4 endurance v4's. Puncture rer (sic) tyre within a month of switching over from durano plus's

I feel your pain, but a puncture early in a tyre's life doesn't mean it's puncture prone so to say "Michelin Endurance have barely any puncture protection" is false news. And the downside of Durano Plus is its weight and high rolling resistance. If that doesn't matter and puncture protection really does, like @vickster , I'd go for the Marathon Plus.
Within 200km of fitting my Michelin Pro 4 Service Course I got a puncture but I did not then judge it as having 'barely any puncture protection'. A tiny shard of metal (I think it's standard detritus from a car tyre) penetrated. Despite a careful check at the roadside for the cause I could not find it so replaced tube, pumped up, and rode. A few miles on I'd lost almost all pressure, and it was now dark and getting cold (February). Fortunately I had just passed a house (rural Devon) so turned back and the kind couple allowed me to do the repair inside (in the light and warm). I was then able to detect the tiny shard of wire and pick it out. Otherwise I think only if I'd been carrying a spare tyre would that 110km ride have been completed. Since then - nix; and few nicks.

si_c

Guru
I've always been very happy with the wear I got from Rubinos. More recently I've switched to using Bontrager AW2s, which I found excellent too. For summer commuting I'm currently using the Zaffiros which came with the bike, surprisingly OK, although I don't think I'd trust them through winter from either a puncture protection or grip perspective. They're fine in the dry, but I've not been too confident in the wet in terms of grip.

I'm a heavier rider as well.

Top Bottom