Do I need to replace this tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Falcs

Hi, hope ive found the right section.

I recently got back into cycling for exercise and was given a bike by a relative(ridgeback tempest). The bikes been great the pump I got with it not so much and was struggling to get it to work. So I was out on some slightly more rough ground and felt the rear tire slip to the side in some mud, the tube popped out of the side and blew. Completely my fault because the tyre pressure was too low.

I replaced the inner tube, got a new pump took the tyre to 55 psi and was out and did around 12 miles, was going over an area of very sideways slanted ground and the tube popped on me again. I was very careful to make sure the tyre was fitted correctly it was all seated properly and all smooth, no bumps etc. When I took it off I noticed that an area of the tyre wall is quite bent, could it be that I damaged the tyre the first time it happened and do I need to replace the tyre,

(link for pics)
View: https://imgur.com/a/AZfLfHO

Thanks.

si_c

Guru
If it's popping off when properly inflated then I'd replace it. It's hard to tell from the photos whether it's damaged or not, but if you've taken the time to seat it properly and the problem recurs then it sounds like the bead is damaged.

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
I've never, in several centuries of riding, had a tyre pop off the rim, & I'm inclined to think the tyre & tube combination aren't correct for the rim size. The wheel itself should have its dimensions marked on it, I think replacing the tyres (and possibly the tubes) with ones that are suitable for the rim dimensions is the best idea.

Have a look at the rim & report back here with what you find. Lots of (possibly confusing) advice will doubtless be forthcoming!

Just had a quick look & the Ridgeback Tempest looks like a nice midrange hybrid from the flat-bar road bike end of the spectrum. Would expect 700c rims, so a nice pair of 700c x 32 or 35 Schwalbe Marathons should sort you out.

grldtnr

Second that, but as I'm just a human, in decades of riding never had tyre pop off.
Had that problem in the past, check the rim of the tyre ,the beading, make sure none of the beading is frayed, could be the carcass has gone, anycase best replace.
Check rim tape while at it as well , a double layer of insulating tape in the wheel well, at also when installing tyres, insert slightly inflated tube, just enough to fill it, start mounting tyre from valve,work tyre around rim to opposite vale,DEFLATE tube, push in valve, a little , reseat tyre making sure it has seated properly by pinching between between thumb & finger into wheel well , fit knurled nut to the valve, if it has one, pump up hard, to reccomeded pressure.
That should solve it.,
Keep tyres inflated hard if you can , it minimises damage like that.

Dolorous Edd

I've never, in several centuries of riding, had a tyre pop off the rim, & I'm inclined to think the tyre & tube combination aren't correct for the rim size.

It's happened to me once when I had to buy a new wheel half way through a tour and the new rim turned out to be too narrow for my tyre.

grldtnr

It's happened to me once when I had to buy a new wheel half way through a tour and the new rim turned out to be too narrow for my tyre.
That can happen, but tyres and rims will generally be accomadting, but too narrow on a wide rim won't work, does the other way round tho'.
The OP's tyre seems the right size tho'

OP
OP
F

Falcs

Thanks for the replies.

The rims are "Alex Rims DP17" SSE Double was disc 6061H-T6 559x17
Thats all the info I can find,

I used a 26" slime tube 1.75 to 2.125 to replace the first tube, to its credit it didnt pop just got extremely large.

The bike hasnt been used a great deal by the person I got it from its about a 2008 model. It may have been second hand when my relative bought it im not sure. But id imagine they are the tyres that came with the bike. I started walking for fitness but was finding it was agrivating an old injury cycling was much better. Ive been really enjoying building up my stamina and extended the distance I travel, the bike was fine for the first 2 months or so. I am on the heavier side at about 125KG which no doubt effects things. What i'm hoping to do is cycle along the local canal network which gives me a lot of places to go all being well.

I checked the rim tape first time and its fine all the way around. But checking the tire closely I can see the metal on the outside looks like the rubber has worn and its in the same area as the bulge.

Attachments

• IMG_20211005_153608[1].jpg
    IMG_20211005_153608[1].jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 20

biking_fox

Guru
Pic 3 looks like a very different tyre from 1 and 2.

I'd say 55psi is quite low for a narrow slick road tyre (70-115 is better), but shouldn't cause it to pop off the rim. I've never experienced that. If the sidewall is damaged the innertube can extrude through and blow - it's a big bang, and the tyre will be very notably damaged/destroyed. If the bead/rim isn't seated correctly the innertube will blow it off as you pump it up to pressure, so you probably did have it set correctly. Best guess is the tyre/wheel aren't compatible match.

I am afraid that tyre is goosed as the rubber is showing the steel bead underneath, it needs binning.

The Alex DP17 comes in either 26”/559mm or 700c/622mm, can you see any other markings on the rim to denote the wheel size? If it is 700c then the rim will happily take 28c to about 40c and if it’s 26” it will take 1.5 to 2.1 tyres.

OP
OP
F

Falcs

Well it has 599x17 written on the rim label and the current tyre says "47-599 26x1.75 HS328A"

I assume 17 defers to dp17 and 599 is the 559mm you mentioned so it looks like I need new 26" tyres
Ive no idea what would be a good tyre for me, I mainly go on tarmac and gravel and im heavy so perhaps some sort of hybrid touring tyre, what ive read they are designed for heavier weight due to panniers etc.
The current tyre has a smooth section down the centre for harder flat surfaces and more traction to the sides for wet and rougher areas, that seems like a good compromise.

Would be great to have some suggestions. In terms of cost I tend to always buy things that are middle of the road on price (upto £80 or so for the two?). Perhaps something with some puncture protection, its sad how much glass ive hadto pick up off the cycle tracks I go on.

sasquath

If there is no mud on your tracks then schwalbe marathon, or marathon plus will suit your needs.

Plus have more puncture protection but is heavier, and supposedly offers harscher ride.

Both £20-25 each in 26x1.75 size.

presta

Guru
I've never, in several centuries of riding, had a tyre pop off the rim
I have, just by getting overenthusiastic with the pump. Same rims and tyre size that had been on the bike for 20 years, I don't know what the pressure was, I didn't use a gauge.

Some years later (and a different bike) I had a guy at Beer YHA wanting to show off his pump, and going nuts inflating my front tyre. I pointed out that the maximum rating was 85psi, but he knew better: "Nah, you need at least a hundred in that".
Anyhow, I stopped for a pee about 20 mins down the road, and noticed that the tyre was three parts of the way off the rim.

OP
OP
F

Falcs

Right , thanks for all the replies, having looked at quite a few tires I think im going to go for some Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour 26x2. Im a little concerned about slimy leaves as the weather changes a lot of places I go are tree lined, so I figure the tour ones have a bit more side grip and the 2" version to be a bit more supportive. Does that sound logical?

Top Bottom