Do I need to upgrade my gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think Julie has had you over there....
Sounds about right for them, the arm curvature was different though (MTB mech to road mech AFAICR) mind you they hadn't invented 'compact' cranks yet back then and I was converting a Raleigh MTB to what would now be termed an 'expedition tourer'.................Then it got nicked, probably for the forks (Marzocchi MX Comp air)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Study some of the online calculators http://www.bikecalc.com/cadence_at_speed

A cadence of 70 to 90 should be comfortable and over 100 achievable. Going up onto a 50, will be about the same as one cog difference on the rear, so not very significant, unless you are spending loads of time on the small cog.

Good luck,
Keith
Playing with that the op should be doing 25 mph on the flat in 46x12 at around 90 rpm , i certainly dont get into 50x13 till im 25 mph + and 50x12 = 30 mph +

outlash

also available in orange
Sounds about right for them, the arm curvature was different though (MTB mech to road mech AFAICR) mind you they hadn't invented 'compact' cranks yet back then and I was converting a Raleigh MTB to what would now be termed an 'expedition tourer'.................Then it got nicked, probably for the forks (Marzocchi MX Comp air)

Ah, I see. I thought you were talking about road mechs having different arm curvature. MTB's have smaller rings so need a different mech, cross bikes have road mechs with cross chainrings which are normally a bit smaller but still work with a road groupset.

Tony.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
If you like pedalling on descents and a challenge on hills, get an N+1 fixie :biggrin:

And when you find that it's not for you buy this..

11039279_847481175319106_6286079409129836387_n.jpg

Top Bottom