Do i return bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bio racer

Bought my oh a nice new Giant hybrid a couple of months ago from Rutland Bikes, unbelievably it does not change gear as it should, bearing in mind i have fiddled and repaired all my bikes for 50 years, this should not be an issue ! But simply if its in the big ring and i adjust the rear gear to suit, it then doesn’t line up on the rear if it goes into the little ring and vice versa, so you can have a perfectly working system on one or the other ring ?
I changed the cable because someone said its being affected by other wires as its routed down the down tube, but it isn’t ?
I have spoken with Rutland about taking the bike back because tbh its not fit for purpose, but the girl on the phone wasn’t particularly helpful and suggested i take some pictures of the bike so they can have a look, UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

Just need some sage advice from yous lot.

In anticipation.

Gear adjustment is a standard maintenance issue. Many things, including just some mileage, will make gears not change properly. Usually it is just a turn of a screw, and it is all good again. Have someone look at adjusting the gears for you and perhaps show you how. Also, there's lots of online advice and How-To videos on gear adjustment.
It is definitely not an issue for returning a bike.

midlife

Guru
Maybe they asked for pictures to see what you have done? Perhaps they could advise what to do to avoid you taking the bike back for them to look at. It's a bit difficult to reject the bike outright as you have changed components.

snorri

Legendary Member
I changed the cable because someone said
I have spoken with Rutland about taking the bike back because tbh its not fit for purpose,
The bike was not 'unfit for purpose' it may have just needed a minor tweak of gear mech or cable due to the various new components settling in, this is normal and Rutland should have been given the opportunity to do these after sales checks for you.
By attempting the works yourself, you may have jeopardised your legal rights to any claim or to free after sales service.:sad:

OP
OP
B

Bio racer

Thanks everyone, apologies to roadrash for calling it a wire ! I'm going to take it back and watch them sort it out ! Good luck to them, they won't manage it. Then I suppose the arguments will start.

icowden

Veteran
The arguments will start because you have decided to carry out your own modification to the bike by changing the wire. Rutland will probably be able to fix the problem, but it may cost you if they decide that having made your own modifications, this is no longer covered under warranty / new ownership. It may not even be due to their opinion, but the deal they have with Giant regarding returns and repairs.

I'm surprised that if you were having problems, your first step wasn't to go back to the shop.

If you had problems with your smartphone, would you start taking it apart to fix yourself?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's not at all clear from your description what's actually happening, if I were Rutland Cycles I'd be asking for a picture too.

I suspect your gears are no longer indexing, is that it? Cables stretch and settle in a little with the first period of use, it might only be that. Bike shops often offer a free check up / adjustment service a few weeks or months after purchase to allow for that settling in period. With mail order bikes, you do it yourself if required. Although my Mrs has a Giant hybrid that came from an online shop 2 years ago and that's never needed adjusting from new, so it just depends.

I can't for the life of me work out whey you've been changing cables on a new / newish bike. Let Rutland have a look.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You may have a bent hangar. They should check that.
Without trying to sound like a broken record - this is the first thing to check, especially as the OP wrote "But simply if its in the big ring and i adjust the rear gear to suit, it then doesn’t line up on the rear if it goes into the little ring and vice versa, so you can have a perfectly working system on one or the other ring"

Top Bottom