Do i return bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would take it to a local shop - they may be able fix it quite cheaply - or advise if it is a more significant repair - at which point you go back to rutland.
Its damm annoying I know - I paid well over £3k for a bike, which has been beset by problems - I transpired it many conversations that the bike hadn't been road tested prior to me picking it up - Shop has since closed - you reap what you sow.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I would take it to a local shop - they may be able fix it quite cheaply - or advise if it is a more significant repair - at which point you go back to rutland.
Its damm annoying I know - I paid well over £3k for a bike, which has been beset by problems - I transpired it many conversations that the bike hadn't been road tested prior to me picking it up - Shop has since closed - you reap what you sow.
In my experience most new bikes are not actually road tested before pick up, they are built and set up clamped in a work stand.

12boy

Guru
Bent hangers , cable tautness and poorly adjusted derailleurs are easily remedied by any competent mechanic, and you can certainly learn how the adjustment screws on the front and rear derailleurs affect shifting and how taut the cable should be.
Something that's always worked for me is finding a smaller, independent bike shop and establishing a relationship with the owner or mechanics. The parts I buy there may cost more than online, but the relationship is worth the expense. If they botch a repair they know you'll be back and they will give you the straight dope when asked questions. Bike coops are another good choice for access to expertise and tools.

davidphilips

Veteran
My advice would be stop fiddling with bikes and start using a Local bike mechanic, If Rutland are close then let them sort the gears out but be very nice to them they have done nothing wrong and if they fix it for you free are only doing it as a good will repair.

OP
OP
B

Bio racer

The gears didn't work correctly on day one, but wasn't fussed as I was sure it would require minor tweaking, as soon as bike arrived I checked the hanger with a calibration tool. I changed the cable because my oh was desperate to have gears that changed cleanly especially going uphill, another poster on another site said change the cable because that has to be the problem,, seemed reasonable as I have tried everything thing else.
Even if the bike is new surely Im entitled to fiddle with the gear adjustment screws ? And who cares if I changed one internal wire, it's not as if I tampered with a carburetor or or gas valve on a boiler, this is not rocket science.

12boy

Guru
I don't know about the rocket science thing, Bio racer. I visited the air and space section of the Smithsonian museum once, and within 60 feet of a lunar module was a bike built by the Wright Brothers. Although it looked very heavy and had skip tooth gears, it was basically the same as my Surly Steamroller one speed.

I don't mean to sound rude but its the first time I have heard brake or gear CABLES referred to as "wires" by anyone who claims to know what they are doing

:whistle:

Top Bottom