Do I try and replace my new freehub myself ? (PR-2 disc wheels 2017 with thru axle)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I've replaced a few 9 speed Shimano Freehubs before but not this one..

https://www.giantbikespares.com/Gia...mano&SRAM)--FH117K-01-/product_detail/3-43273

152b-fh117k-801%20zoom.jpg

Looks like I just need a 14MM Hex Key and is not overly complicated.

My current freehub was at one point seized, but I managed to salvage it by injecting alot of lubricant. The issue now is that it has alot of lateral play so I figured it needed replacing (If it just needs a tighten inside I will be mad!)

Should I give it a go ???

Any advice ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Give it a go. If it's fubared anyway, no harm in trying.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it fits you are OK. My guess is bearing number 9 on the diagram is worn. I've replaced the outer bearing on one of my freehubs after it developed play. Quite like formula hubs as they are easy to completely service and replace with better bearings when they wear.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I have no clue how to get this out.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Hello AGAIN. Managed to get a bit further with the freehub. Managed to get as far as this (the central thru axle can only exit on the drive side, and I could not release the two bolts on the brake side. Getting fed up with this little venture but I am learning alot about the assemly so not a bad thing for future maintenance. Will try again over the weekend to release the two bolts.

Top Bottom