Do light shoes help much ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have a really comfortable pair of mountainbike type SPD shoes ,only drawback is they are heavy.

Would a lightweight pair of road shoes be a big advantage for the road bike?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I would stick to your comfy ones until you need a new pair. Unless you are are racing snake, lightweight ones won't make a noticeable difference. Road shoes take different cleats, so you would have to change the pedals as well.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Should have mentioned that I allready have a pair of DHB road shoes which are ok but I usually put the mtb shoes on as they are a bit more user friendly for walking etc,

just wondered if the extra weight (the mtb shoes feel like nearly double the weight ) would make an appreciable difference to energy used on a long ride.

I am certainly not a racing snake but have a 100 mile sportive coming up.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I swapped my MTB shoes for road shoes for the same reason. But that's just part of the cult of light weight and mechanical perfection.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I dunno....use MTB shoes on the Fixed day in, day out, then Spesh Pro Carbons at weekends... the MTB shoes are way heavier, but I've only done some big distances on the Carbon shoes.... can't say either is any different. For a sportive, if not limited by pedal type, use your most comfy shoes.....

Top Bottom