Do motorists respect cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes the vast majority of them either respect or tolerate cyclists. Unfortunately it is the ones who don't who we remember rather than the number of safe passes we get.

green1

Über Member
You'd be far better asking the question do all road users respect each other? IMO most do but unfortunately there is a growing minority who don't.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Actually we do pay to be on the roads. We pay council tax and income tax. That money is used to pay for the upkeep of the roads. Vehicle Excise duty or Car/ Road Tax is used to pay for the DVLA which is how drivers get parking tickets.

Vehicle Excise duty or Car/ Road Tax has not been used to pay for the upkeep of the roads since 1937. That said I do think we should pay insurance in the sum of £20 a year except for under 16s. The reason is that we can cause slight damage to paintwork on cars (which can be expensive things to get re-done) if we crash into them. There are other reasons for this gone into by other people on other posts so I have no need to elaborate here.

Getting back to the question most do and some don't.
to some degreee you are right, but VED is not used to pay for the DVLA. The DVLA is funded, like everything else from central tax levies. NO tax is ring fenced to pay for a specific cause. As for insurance, how are you going to enforce it? The logisitics alone would be staggering, as every cycle would have to have a visible registration number, and details of that registration would have to be stoerd somewhere and administered by someone. The cost involved would certainly lead to a reduction in the number of cycles on the road, which would be a very bad thing indeed. So sorry, but no to compulsory insurance for cyclists.

Davidc

Guru
The vast majority of drivers respect cyclists at least to the level of following the rules. If that wasn't the case riding would be impossible.

There is a tiny minority who don't, and they are a problem. For a start we tend to perceive them as being hundreds of times more common than they are because of the trouble and hazard they cause us. This lot are generally just as disrespectful to everyone else on the roads.

There is another minority who don't look, or don't see what they're looking at, or are just incompetent. It's not that they don't respect cyclists, they just don't think. This lot also pull out in front of other motor vehicles, drive straight across pedestrian crossings, and so on.

Publicity campaigns might help. Some enforcement of road law might too. Introducing sensible penalties for traffic offences would also be a good idea.

defy-one

I had a wickes lorry wait patiently behind me for a mile today. He had chances to pass,but elected to wait.
The guy was an absolute gent!
...... Motorists do respect cyclist

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Bus drivers wave at bus drivers and s*d the rest and cyclists are at the bottom of the gang hierarchy.

Pedestrians are at the bottom.

I hate those bastards. Wearing their silly shoes, weaving all over the cyclepath.

(imagine deadpan smiley here)

Top Bottom