Do postage stamps have a use by date?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've just found six old-fashioned (red) first class stamps.
Can I still use them or are only the orange ones now valid?

classic33

Leg End Member
Are they marked "First Class" or with a price. "First Class" you can still use them as First Class. Priced, you'd have to make the difference up.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Are they marked "First Class" or with a price. "First Class" you can still use them as First Class. Priced, you'd have to make the difference up.
That, exactly. If they're marked as 1st or 2nd ("non value indicator"), then they're good for full payment of whatever the basic 1st class letter rate is at the time, or part payment for larger/heavier (etc) items at the current price. If they're priced, then they're worth that price only.

classic33

Leg End Member
That, exactly. If they're marked as 1st or 2nd ("non value indicator"), then they're good for full payment of whatever the basic 1st class letter rate is at the time, or part payment for larger/heavier (etc) items at the current price. If they're priced, then they're worth that price only.
Used to buy 50 at a time, and had no problems using older ones if they changed colour & price whilst I had them.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Further to the above, the official line (from royalmail.com) is...
"Stamps without a specified monetary value are described as Non Value Indicator (NVI) and are typically First and Second Class stamps. These do not have an expiry date, therefore can be used regardless of the length of time you've had them. Stamps with a monetary value also do not have an expiry date and can be combined to make up the value of postage required."

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Is that because the letter would have to be delivered by stage coach and therefore take weeks to get there?:tongue:

They were bought out by Parcel Force

The service hasn't improved though :whistle:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I just received a package via Ebay.

It had 2 x 6 1/2p and 1 67p stamps.

766.jpg
From 1967
2010_5389.jpg
From 2010.
So, no, it doesn't matter if they are old.

I reckon they are possibly worth more than their face value.

Top Bottom