Do the Germans understand Irony

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
If you watch "IT" on Sky Cinema - this is the advert before it

Quite apt on many levels

One of the best cars I had was an Audi A4 Avant. A quick check of the reg shows it's still on the road 20 years later, although the MOT has expired but it has 12 months tax.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
German Irony you say..........

illustration-an-illustrated-picture-shows-an-employee-of-flag-manufacturer-D6DJPH.jpg

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I haven't seen this ad, so googled for it. I found a campaign from September last year, which is presumably the precursor to this year's campaign. It seems a year ago they knew what clowns represented, I wonder what's changed. I note with relief, none of the clowns are push bikes.

I presume that's the ad the OP is talking about as it's the same one that I've seen several times lately. He's just not expressed himself very clearly - it's the other cars that are being driven by clowns, not the Audi.

I think it's actually a pretty good ad. There was an awful Volvo print ad a few years ago that seemed to suggest it's OK not to pay attention while driving because your car will save you (driver distracted by reaching for coffee cup so not noticing car in front braking). At least this one is not suggesting that you don't need to pay attention yourself, only that your car's tech can help if other drivers aren't paying attention.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

He's just not expressed himself very clearly
I resemble that insinuation I'll have you know
- it's the other cars that are being driven by clowns, not the Audi.
Agreed but I'll wager that is not what people remember, all they will remember is Clowns & Audi drivers, the reaction will be if you show them the advert will be "Oh the clowns aren't driving the Audi's"

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Agreed but I'll wager that is not what people remember, all they will remember is Clowns & Audi drivers, the reaction will be if you show them the advert will be "Oh the clowns aren't driving the Audi's"

It seemed clear enough to me, but based on some of the comments in this thread, I think you're probably right.

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 5299489, member: 259"]Clowns are totally scary. I think they knew exactly what they were doing.:ohmy:[/QUOTE]
My old neighbours have the perfect place to park it.

20161013_171351-jpg.jpg

I presume that's the ad the OP is talking about as it's the same one that I've seen several times lately.
Ah, so the irony is that the "Germans" (presumably in fact a New York or London based ad agency) craft a witty advert on the assumption that their UK customers can follow a simple 60 second narrative? Turns out they can't, despite having a strong feeling of superiority to said Germans. Oh, the irony!

(though surely anyone who might buy an Audi probably would notice that the clowns were not driving Audis but literal clown cars, so the ad probably still works where it needs to)

(also, I'm excited to be able to use literal in it's literal sense)

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Not a German ad but an ironic one.

How about the Barclays fraud ad where the operator gets someone to give her their pin number and says "See what I did there? The office is in Barclays colours as are its staff, so it appears to be saying you're at risk from Barclays call centres that have somehow gone rogue.

Top Bottom