Do these mudguards fit correctly? (pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buzzinonbikes

Hello there from rainy Manchester,

I recently purchased the ToPeak DeFender mudguards for my Specialized Langster Steel. After previously owning the Crud Road Racer MK2s and not being entirely happy with how stable they were (however good the coverage they provided) and with them being annihilated in accident I recently had, I decided to opt for something a bit more robust feeling.

My main question is, as you can see in the pics - the rear guard is quite elevated from the tyre and this is the lowest it will go. If I try and manouvere it closer to the wheel, either the sides of the guards or the plastic twizly screw things from the support arms rub against the tyre. I am wondering is this what is causing road muck up forward and over onto my cranks and lower legs, or is this just a fact of the "half" as opposed to full length mudguards?

I realise that the Langster has quite low clearances, and that perhaps the reason for the support arms rubbing the tyre is that they are possibly coming from more of an acute angle with the bike being so thin? no? meh?

The front guard fits perfectly btw, and my arse and back stay nice and dry :smile:
th_photo1.jpg
th_photo4.jpg
th_photo2.jpg
Thanks

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
if it looks right... it's right

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
They look very similar to some Giant guards I bought before, iirc to get them fitted close to the wheel without rubbing of the 'twizly screw things' :thumbsup: I had to adjust the fork mounts.

amaferanga

Veteran
Looks like you need to cut down the stays and possibly bend them. The guard should fit close to the tyres at the correct angle like a proper mudguard.

I'm surprised that you went for something like this over a Crud MkII. They certainly won't do anywhere near as good a job of keeping you, your bike and others (if you fitted the extended rear flap) clean. My experience with the Cruds is that once they're fitted correctly they're almost entirely trouble free.

OP
OP
Buzzinonbikes

Buzzinonbikes

Yes a little cutting and bending may be in order. The Crud MkII were OK for me, once I'd burnt through two new holes with a hot nail to loop the cable tie through over the rear brake. See how I get on with these. Hopefully be able to take them off in a couple of months for "summer" :laugh:

Top Bottom