Do They Mean Us ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garrilla

zimzum42 said:
Still, the first reply gets it right, wearing lycra is one thing, but wearing astana kit really is like a kid blinging out a Nova....

Although I have never worn 'kit' surely its no different to a football fan wearing replica shirt etc?

amnezia

postman said:
Oh dear the cyclist should pay tax reared it's ugly head again.
Maybe drivers should stop.

Smoking whilst driving,
Drinking and driving,
Eating whilst driving ,
Texting,
phoning.

Should i go on ? no i won't bother.

We were on the A1 on monday been for a flashy meal out.Driving saw some really crap driving.Best ,tanker driver pouring himself a drink out of a thermos flask.Tanker actually did a wobble off line.STUPID barsteward.

I had map reading today which is always confidence inspiring.

OP
OP
L

Lazy-Commuter

biking_fox said:
But methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than CO2 - about 20x IIRC

Hence in nearly all scientific discussions over greenhouse gases the actual topic is CO2 equivalents : 1 g Methane would be counted as a 20g CO2 emission.

Somehow journalists seem unable to cope with this very tricky concept.
Indeed it is. I thought it was more like seven times more potent, but am prepared to be shown to be wrong 'cos I ain't sure.

Still, my point about an overweight car driver being more flatulent and thereby increasing his emissions still further - albeit tongue in check - still stands and makes it even worse given that methane is worse than CO2. :biggrin:

Downward

Guru
marinyork said:
Happens on AV forums. For some reason some AV or media forums like DS are very, very anti-cyclist.

That's cause they are all Couch potoatoes !

To be fair I have been on there for years and years but only read it when Iam after something.

Downward

Guru
I think cyclists should have to pay some kind of road tax to counter this. Nothing like the costs of car tax. But a nominal fee as a gesture - say £10 a year. I think all cyclists should have to go on road profficiency tests if they wish to use urban roads too.

Oh dear - they still they don't understand there is no such thing as car tax.

The advantage of there being no road tax or insurance requirements for a bicycle is that the lowest of the knobs, ie, those who have no control over their money either will be statistically more likely to not be able to afford a car, therefore, more likely to cycle.

Oh dear and again.

Renard

Downward said:
The advantage of there being no road tax or insurance requirements for a bicycle is that the lowest of the knobs, ie, those who have no control over their money either will be statistically more likely to not be able to afford a car, therefore, more likely to cycle.

Oh dear and again.

Its well known that the underclass love their cycling. You can't go round your local sink estate without being overrun by bicycles ;)

Not really.I just don't want a car.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I actually thought the responses were pretty positive to be honest.

Ok, so there's a few haters on there but so what, I'm well aware there are a few haters on the road, they make that fact abundantly clear wth needless close swipes and shouting abuse.

The majority were more angered by the lack of respect for the highway code shown by some cyclists, and I'm inclined to agree with them.

As for the crash that inspired that thread, well, if he hadn't RLJ'd it wouldn't have happened so I've no sympathy there.

I just read 4 pages of that and like Panter, most seem to deride the lack of adherence to the highway code and inconvenienceendanger other road users, whatever the mode of transport used. Pretty balanced all things considered.

I did chuckle about the cyclist mentioned by the OP, hope heshe is ok, but there is a lesson for all RLJ'ers in there somewhere...

PBancroft

Downward said:
Oh dear - they still they don't understand there is no such thing as car tax.

Why would they? Where is that distinction ever made clear for the masses?

I know I wrote the article on the blog, but as widely read as that is (fnar) for the vast majority of people all they know is that in order to keep using the road, they need to pay for their tax disc every year. And renew their driving licence every ten years. And pay tax on their petrol. And pay to use the M6 toll. And pay for parking. And then have to catch a bus in anyway.

The average Joe doesn't know where this money goes, or what it pays for, or why. They actually don't care. They only care that they pay, and we don't.

Top Bottom