Do they teach American language in Primary schools nowadays?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I was telling my grandson that the temperature was -1 this morning and he said: " You mean negative 1?" Where does that come from? I asked him why he said
negative 1 and he said this is what his teacher taught him. He is in year 5.
So, are there any primary school teachers on here to advise on why they teach the American way?
Personally, I will stick to the proper way and use minus for lower than 0 temperature.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Sounds like he is cleverly taking his maths learning and applying it to temperatures.

In any event you understood him:okay:

Alex321

Veteran
I was telling my grandson that the temperature was -1 this morning and he said: " You mean negative 1?" Where does that come from? I asked him why he said
negative 1 and he said this is what his teacher taught him. He is in year 5.
So, are there any primary school teachers on here to advise on why they teach the American way?
Personally, I will stick to the proper way and use minus for lower than 0 temperature.

I don't think that is anything to do with Americanisms.

I presume he had just been learning about positive and negative numbers.

Calling it "minus 1" is the sort of common usage that kids might not pick up on that early.

bluenotebob

Veteran
When did "gotten" become English English as opposed to US English?

I hear it quite a lot now and it even appeared in some BBC LiveText reporting last night.

Yes - I'm sure "gotten" was used in Elizabethan times and exported to the US a few hundred years ago - but why has it come back?

And when did macaroni cheese become 'mac and cheese'?

Just curious .. and vaguely worried about what's happened to the English I was taught in the 1950s/60s.

byegad

Legendary Member
'Two times' instead of twice really gets to me. It's illogical that I get so upset about it, after all my Grandad, born before powered flight became a thing used thrice where I'd say three times.

Top Bottom