Do they teach American language in Primary schools nowadays?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
When did "gotten" become English English as opposed to US English?

I hear it quite a lot now and it even appeared in some BBC LiveText reporting last night.

Yes - I'm sure "gotten" was used in Elizabethan times and exported to the US a few hundred years ago - but why has it come back?

And when did macaroni cheese become 'mac and cheese'?

Just curious .. and vaguely worried about what's happened to the English I was taught in the 1950s/60s.

We don’t gotten Mac & Cheese here. It’s macaroni cheese or starve in my house.
One of my colleagues routinely says ‘ what do you got?’ when I transfer a call to him. I am a bit of a cow and reply something like ‘who do I have or what have I got?’ I am Englush, live in England and learned English at English schools during the 60s and 70s.
While we are here, I am not good, I am well. Thanks for asking ^_^

Saluki

World class procrastinator
'Two times' instead of twice really gets to me. It's illogical that I get so upset about it, after all my Grandad, born before powered flight became a thing used thrice where I'd say three times.
I say thrice, a lot. Mostly as the embryos that I work with have no clue.

mustang1

Legendary Member
So, are there any primary school teachers on here to advise on why they teach the American way?

Negative. :smile:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Glad I’m not the only one who finds it extremely irritating. Maybe in the future standing at a counter and saying “ can I have a ******* please ” will be considered very quaint and old fashioned.

Well, there's no reason to swear at the person behind the counter. They're only doing their job.
Oh -I misinterpreted that one. If I pleaded guilty to that, it's infinitely better than if I pled guilty. Even the BBC has taken to using such Americanisms.

Alex321

Veteran
The BBC's Americanisms annoy me a lot less than the other garbage they come up with. The latest bugbear for me being, every night after the main news we have to go to the 'nations and regions'.

I take it you don't live in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland then?

When they go to the local news, those three are nations. The others are regions. How else would you like them to describe it?

PK99

Legendary Member
Most Brits do not understand the American usage of "gotten" which is perfectly grammatical and self-consistent in American English
  • ‘Got’ is used when referring to a state of owning or possessing something.
  • ‘Gotten’ is used when referring to a process of ‘getting’ something.

I have got enough money for a cup of tea.
Vs
I have gotten enough money for a cup of tea.

Ill-gotten gains - in UK English refers to the process of acquisition, not the simple possession.

Top Bottom