Do unused tyres go hard with age?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Agree that age won’t affect fitment, and further that 2-3 years in a dark shed shouldn’t really age it anyway.

UV and ozone are the real enemies of rubber.

simongt

Guru
The first time I tried fitting Marathon Plus onto one of my bikes :cursing: , I failed and took it to my LBS. Much to my embarassment, he had them on in about 30 seconds flat :eek:. At least he was kind and said that years of pactise had given him very strong thumbs - ! ^_^
Now I have a technique depending on the bike; Bromptons easy, 26" rims - toe strap. Sorted - !:thumbsup:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I seem to remember a story about a bus crash that on investigation found the tyres failed despite having plenty tread. I can't quite remember the specifics, whether they were just repeatedly recut or if they has just sat at the back of the yard for years but they failed causing the crash and tyre age became part of the mot process.

A different animal from your example, but I'm sure the result would be much the same.
I cannot remember the details just now but motorhome and caravan owners are recommended to change the tyres with age rather than apparent condition as they deteriorate with age and are not regarded as safe beyond a given time.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
10 years is pretty much the limit for a car tyre. These do have the special risk of the steel belts rusting, which can delaminate the tread.

rustyroger

Rubber doesn't have an indefinite lifespan, to add to Oldwheels post, classic cars are another area where age should rank equally with tread depth to decide if a tyre needs to be replaced. They are a vital safety related part of any road vehicle, from a bicycle to a 48 tonne truck. If in doubt, replace!.

Roger.

Trull

Über Member
If you have a durometer then you can test the age of the rubber by directly checking its resistance to penetration, if its changed by more than say 20% then I'd change it.
I used to work for a rubber manufacturer and so long as the rubber is in the dark, dry and kept away from chemicals like ozone or solvents it was certainly good for 5 years. Be careful to store it in a unstressed way (no bends/folds) and at moderate temperatures and all will be well.

Top Bottom