Do we all go bonkers with advancing age and post retirement.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know a chap who is now 70 and in robust health. Walks and cycles on his stationary bike daily. He was an early pioneer in Computer Science and retired from a major oil company as its Chief IT Architect. He has been posted overseas few times including heading IT in those countries. Very lucid chap. He is also known in his neighbourhood for his roses.

It started last year with the 5G and the link to Covid and other similar things followed. I speak to him at least once a month and the conversations are totally normal.

I have not said anything thing about the WhatsApp messages he sends but it is getting worse. I am surprised that despite his corporate background and experience he is into these sort of things. Its not just Covid. Its about big corporations and other things. The only thing missing is the Illuminati.

My worry is that I may end up like that and no one tells me about it. People are just too kind. Do your family and friends challenge you when you throw in something that does not sound right.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I know a chap who is now 70 and in robust health. Walks and cycles on his stationary bike daily. He was an early pioneer in Computer Science and retired from a major oil company as its Chief IT Architect. He has been posted overseas few times including heading IT in those countries. Very lucid chap. He is also known in his neighbourhood for his roses.

It started last year with the 5G and the link to Covid and other similar things followed. I speak to him at least once a month and the conversations are totally normal.

I have not said anything thing about the WhatsApp messages he sends but it is getting worse. I am surprised that despite his corporate background and experience he is into these sort of things. Its not just Covid. Its about big corporations and other things. The only thing missing is the Illuminati.

My worry is that I may end up like that and no one tells me about it
. People are just too kind. Do your family and friends challenge you when you throw in something that does not sound right.

You've already got there.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I have thrown in things that are ‘not right’ for long enough. My compadres freely tell me I am in error, then sometimes have to catch themselves thinking. Sometimes it takes an idiot to ‘spot the bloody obvious’ , and I am eminently qualified :-)

If your mate has suddenly discovered an interest in the machinations of international corporations, and feels like including you, maybe check out his claims for yourself? The worst that can happen is that you could agree with him, and you might be able to point out the error of his ways?

There will not be anything about the Illuminati - they are far too cunning. Hail Eris.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

I have thrown in things that are ‘not right’ for long enough. My compadres freely tell me I am in error, then sometimes have to catch themselves thinking. Sometimes it takes an idiot to ‘spot the bloody obvious’ , and I am eminently qualified :-)

If your mate has suddenly discovered an interest in the machinations of international corporations, and feels like including you, maybe check out his claims for yourself? The worst that can happen is that you could agree with him, and you might be able to point out the error of his ways?

There will not be anything about the Illuminati - they are far too cunning. Hail Eris.
I just don't have the courage to tell him. In fact, I got another one of those message today with a youtube link and he endorsed it. I started to write back suggesting that it was wrong but chickened out and instead headed out to CC for help. My fear is I may end up like him.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

I don’t know if anyone has done an age breakdown of people who believe in conspiracy theories. But I’m pretty sure they are spread out across most age groups.
I have to disagree. The older ones are clearly in the lead by a long mile. Seen it my workplace and on my travels including across cultures. There is also a discernible correlation to educational level which is understandable.

But to be fair it not across the majority but a much smaller cohort in the older category.

One of things that I have resolved is to keep my self busy when I retire on something material. Hopefully to keep the old brain humming.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
One of things that I have resolved is to keep my self busy when I retire on something material. Hopefully to keep the old brain humming.

The humming is Bill Gates trying to tune into your chip’s antenna.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Perhaps in the early stages of Dementia/Alzheimer's

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Perhaps in the early stages of Dementia/Alzheimer's
I did wonder that. Anyway it is physiological as we age, both our physical and mental faculties starts to diminish. Both my parents went rather early due to heart and other ailments so they were mentally lucid. But we do have extended family members that have become incapacitated mentally.

I will keep an eye. Thanks.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, I've gone utterly bonkers since I retired. Those old lawnmowers dont restore themselves you know.

Ive been retired long enough, speaking my mind instead of minding my words so as not to offend people I couldn't give a sheet about anyway, that I'm now utterly unemployable.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I just don't have the courage to tell him. In fact, I got another one of those message today with a youtube link and he endorsed it. I started to write back suggesting that it was wrong but chickened out and instead headed out to CC for help. My fear is I may end up like him.
So you watched it?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Yep, I've gone utterly bonkers since I retired. Those old lawnmowers dont restore themselves you know.

Ive been retired long enough, speaking my mind instead of minding my words so as not to offend people I couldn't give a sheet about anyway, that I'm now utterly unemployable.
To be fair D, you were unemployable long before that.

Top Bottom