Do women also experience Brooks love?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jnow

Regular
I have read several threads in which most posters rave about Brooks saddles. My wife is considering the B17 short (the “women’s model”) now. Its lack of a cutout makes me wonder: do women revere Brooks saddles the way men do, or did I fail to realize most Brooks fans/fanatics are men? I invite the response of any female reader of this post who has experience of Brooks saddles.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
They are simply a quality product that needs a bit of wearing in like quality shoes. Someone only yesterday said 'That looks uncomfortable for long rides'. It is completely the opposite. A bit of polish now and again and you're good. Suitable for all I would say.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I had a Brooks B17 ladies saddle and despite years of trying/wearing in it crippled me. Saddles are a very personal thing and women obviously have different anatomical issues with them to men and each woman is quite different to the next. I'm sure there are loads of ladies who will love there Brooks - my choice of saddle is a Selle Italia Lady Gel flow and I have one on each of my three bikes. With any saddle isn't just a question of 'wearing it in'. Depending upon one's anatomy a saddle with a cut-out may work well or not. Unfortunately there is only one way to find out and that is to ride on it...

So the point is that everyone is different so different saddles suit different people - so it is best to try several out to see what suits you

which does bring up a problem - you can't tell if a saddle will get better as you use it - so you could buy a saddle and suffer while trying to break it in - but never succeed

iluvmybike

Über Member
So the point is that everyone is different so different saddles suit different people - so it is best to try several out to see what suits you

which does bring up a problem - you can't tell if a saddle will get better as you use it - so you could buy a saddle and suffer while trying to break it in - but never succeed
Yes - and it can be a painful journey as I can attest. Note that Selle Italia sadles come in different widths and it is important to get the right one. I had heard that Specialized have some kind of measuring equipemtn for saddle but I guess you'd have to go to a Specializeds specifc store for that

Julia9054

Guru
Yes - and it can be a painful journey as I can attest. Note that Selle Italia sadles come in different widths and it is important to get the right one. I had heard that Specialized have some kind of measuring equipemtn for saddle but I guess you'd have to go to a Specializeds specifc store for that
You can measure the width of your own sit bones with some aluminium foil and carpeted stairs. There are charts online to tell you which width of saddle is suited to which width of sit bones.

Another plus one for Selle Italia Diva. My Brooks was an instrument of torture.

Brooks do a Ladies version of the Imperial with a cutout, Alison has four of them on her bikes, although the Tandem one is I think what they call a 'Flyer' with springs, I think that one is her favourite, and she would quite like one for her Galaxy too, or will maybe consider swapping it for our LEJOG this year (hopefully - restrictions permitting)

If you compare the likes of a Selle Italia Diva with a woman specific Brooks, the Diva is a lot longer and the cut out wider for most of the length. The Brooks is pretty well a normal Brooks with a slit in it.
If you have problems with pressure at the front, the Brooks is way too short and makes the problem worse. Mine drew blood.

My missus has a B17 on her tourer and she finds it very comfortable now but its been on for 15 years. If you can dismount your bike after 6 hours and not walk like a cowboy then something is right. That said the previous perch was a 70's Selle Italia Turbo^_^

Top Bottom