Do work think you are mad cycling in this weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lazy-Commuter said:
You'd love my colleague that lives approximately 1 mile from our office and drives it every day. And then moans about the price of fuel and "all this bl**dy traffic". :biggrin:

I've one better than that. Some years ago, we lived on a country road just half a mile from my son's primary school. I'd only drive him in the wettest weather, but any time I was walking, a parent would stop and offer a lift, looking very perplexed when I said, "No, thanks, it's a lovely day!" One parent lived even closer, about 500 yards from the school, and every morning, drove out her driveway, trying to find a parking place at the school, then driving a further 500 yards to the racecourse to turn around and drive back through the school traffic. She could have walked it quicker, I assure you!:ohmy:

The whole problem with our nation is not "our love affair with our car" - it's our infantile, clinging dependence on having four wheels permanently attached to us!!:ohmy:

Irishrebel said:
I've one better than that <snip> She could have walked it quicker, I assure you!:ohmy:

The whole problem with our nation is not "our love affair with our car" - it's our infantile, clinging dependence on having four wheels permanently attached to us!!:biggrin:
Fair enough, that beats me. Though he does pay a fiver a time pay-as-you-go for a gym session once a week to walk a mile on a GP referral 'cos he's dangerously overweight and has all sorts of attendant health issues. The gym is approx 500yards from his house; word is he drives (2 miles each way 'cos it's the long way round) to and from those sessions. :ohmy:

As an aside, one of the estates I ride through on my way to work has a "walking bus" scheme for the school run. Which is kinda nice: the kids all point and wave as I ride past. But this morning I saw someone drop their child off at the walking bus in the car. Missing the point somewhat do you think? :ohmy:

Flyingfox

Following in the footsteps of another girl at work I've only really started cycling since the summer. The other girl had a nasty accident a few months ago and hasn't been able to cycle since, but I've continued. The people at work have nothing but admiration, and actually comment that I'm so much more cheerful when I've cycled in :smile::biggrin:

monnet

Guru
Flyingfox said:
Following in the footsteps of another girl at work I've only really started cycling since the summer. The other girl had a nasty accident a few months ago and hasn't been able to cycle since, but I've continued. The people at work have nothing but admiration, and actually comment that I'm so much more cheerful when I've cycled in :smile::biggrin:

I'm certainly much more cheery when I cycle in. And even if I've had a bad day at work the ride home invariably means I've got it all out of my system by the time I get home (especially if I go the long way home).

saddlesoar

If rain is forecast a colleague asks me regularly if I have seen the weather report when I cycle in. I say yes, that is what my wet weather gear is for. She accuses me of "losing the plot".

gbb

Legendary Member
This last weeks had a couple of chilly mornings...but it's nothing compared with whats to come...positively balmy :smile:

A couple of girls at work keep saying...'Oh God, you must be so cold'...

'This is nothing'....'i'm probaby warmer than you are'

Bollo said:
I managed to kick off the bike-2-work at our place and a few people took it up "but only when the weather's nice." Respect to them, because they've all been pedalling in during the recent autumnal weather.
Our scheme started last month and a few people have taken it up but so far its been cold and dry, it'll be interesting to see if they keep it up all winter.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
HLaB said:
Our scheme started last month and a few people have taken it up but so far its been cold and dry, it'll be interesting to see if they keep it up all winter.
It seems as though the bug has bit with a couple of them as they've managed to pedal through the recent rain and wind. The funniest (but best) is a young petrol-headed gent who claimed he'd only come in during the good weather and that he didn't want to spend more than £150 in total. Roll on about 4 months and he gets more wiggle boxes than me and is eyeing a road bike.

I am the Nick-O-Teen of bikes. Mwaaa mwaaa ha ha!!!

Bollo said:
It seems as though the bug has bit with a couple of them as they've managed to pedal through the recent rain and wind. The funniest (but best) is a young petrol-headed gent who claimed he'd only come in during the good weather and that he didn't want to spend more than £150 in total. Roll on about 4 months and he gets more wiggle boxes than me and is eyeing a road bike.

I am the Nick-O-Teen of bikes. Mwaaa mwaaa ha ha!!!
Not so fast Nick-O-Teen, with my x-ray vision I can see the harm cycling does to people's wallets.

saddlesoar said:
If rain is forecast a colleague asks me regularly if I have seen the weather report when I cycle in. I say yes, that is what my wet weather gear is for. She accuses me of "losing the plot".
Yep, the chap who drives the mile to work used to take great delight in pointing out to me that it is raining / is going to rain. :biggrin: Once he realised that I didn't actually care, however - and it took a while for it to sink in - he seems to have given it up.

Bodhbh

Guru
Hrmm the amount of bikes in the cycle shed at work doesn't seem to bare much correlation to the weather. Seems to vary alot, but almost just people chosing between the bike and whatever else at random.

Did notice was getting in much much less damp during the recent cold snap, was quite nice. Now it's 10C warmer arriving absolutely soaked, although the manflu going round might also have soemthing to do with that.

AdamBlade

Out of 320 staff that work in my office, I am the only cyclist. There have been a few others, 2 or 3, during the summer but they have stopped now the weather has got a little damp!

Tried getting work to start Cycle-to-Work scheme but doesn't look like they are going to do it. I'll carry on cycling though. It's much better for the family bacause I can get rid of all the stresses before I get home :biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
There are currently four bikes in our bike shed. At midnight today there will be three and we don't run a nightshift.

All locked up and slowly getting rustier.

Top Bottom