Do work think you are mad cycling in this weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

Alot of staff at work think I am mad cycling in, especially when its freezing. Everytime, I have my cycle hat on and high vis jacket, I can see in them thinking that guy is mad.

Do get the odd one saying wow admire you for cycling?

How is it like at your workplace?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same here - mostly admiration. TBH I like it when it's freezing - right clothing etc. Just great when you are sitting at lights (when warmed up) and steam is pouring off you.....

One colleague thought I'd lost it when I started cycling in the 32 miles (64 return) once a week to my old job...... that was almost 2 years ago.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Usually yes. When there was that bit of snow earlier this week I got a bit of that.

Did you cycle in today?

-Yup. Beautiful it was.

Isn't it dangerous?

-I hope not.

I sometimes get offers of lifts too when it's nasty. I look at them as if they're nuts then I turn 'em down.

jassy-x

...most people in my workplace find it an ordeal to walk a few yards to thier cars in this weather....so they look at me as being way of the scale in the madness stakes.....although in saying that since I have always been known over the last 20 years as the guy who cycles, runs and goes to the gym at lunchbreaks etc.....most of them consider it as normal for me now and would be more surprised if I didn't...

GrahamG

Guru
There enough cycle commuters in Bristol for it to be considered a fairly normal means of getting to work regardless of the weather. Looking at the number of bikes locked up in the car park, it seems that 'fair weather' commuters make up a small proportion of cyclists.

Maizie

Guru
I don't think they think that I'm any madder - they think I'm mad to be cycling in, full stop. Now it's dark and cold, they just seem to focus on dark and cold, rather than the distance, or the getting sweaty, or the "dangerousness"...

Which is a shame, actually. I'd got used to people being horrified over the distance and had developed a standard conversation:
Them: "You cycle in?!"
Me: "Yes, but only a couple of times a week at the moment"
Them: "Where from?"
Me: "[Next town up the road a bit]"
Them (looking horrified): "How far is that?"
Me (in a wonderfully self-deprecating tone): "Oh, it's not that far, just over ten miles each way".
Them: <sputter>

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I have just over 100 staff under me and every single one of us gets free travel on the tube and bus. Only one other colleague cycles (7 miles each way). 81 staff drive to and from work. 4 live within walking distance and the remainder actually use public transport.

Downward

Guru
jassy-x said:
...most people in my workplace find it an ordeal to walk a few yards to thier cars in this weather....so they look at me as being way of the scale in the madness stakes.....although in saying that since I have always been known over the last 20 years as the guy who cycles, runs and goes to the gym at lunchbreaks etc.....most of them consider it as normal for me now and would be more surprised if I didn't...

Saying that the Ride to work I was toastie warm although it was 1 Degree.
The walk from Locker/Shower Room to work (5 minutes) was freezing.
Could do with a big thick coat in the locker but it is way to small so I end up wearing cyling jacket over shirt.

mrfacetious

Veteran
i'm glad to see so many people commute no matter what the weather. I do try to get a ride over to school on the bike once a week but it is a hard ride - most other people live within a couple of miles. None of them cycle and complain that they have to wait for the bus when they finish all their lessons early.. I think a lot more people should be on bikes or some other self-sufficient transport. Most people are amazed that somebody would do that on a bike... they think it's weird.. i think they're weird..
Ditto downward- wear sensible clothing and you'll feel like you're sitting at a fireplace. i love it!

Top Bottom