Do you check your tyres for debris?

How often do you check your tyres for debris?

• Every ride

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Annually

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only after a puncture

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • What is this debris checking necromancy of which you speak?

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Does your bike object if you turn it over?

I never turn my bike over.
That is a sin against god and against man. ;)
(And all the crap would fall out of my rack pack)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
i'm just wondering how certain jobs are done on a bike if never turned over/abused.
How do you get the wheels out - sweet-talk it to handing them over.

Have you seen race team mechanics turn bikes over when they change someones wheel? (or rather when they used to change someone's wheel pre disc brakes and thru axles, now they just throw the spare bike at them).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
i'm just wondering how certain jobs are done on a bike if never turned over/abused.
How do you get the wheels out - sweet-talk it to handing them over.

I've never had the least problem removing/replacing wheels - or indeed any other job - with the bike the right way up. Can't think of a job that would require it. Maybe polishing the underside of the BB.

My aversion to turning it over comes from the days of brake levers with the cable coming out the top. Turn that over and you risk putting a kink into the inner cable and the callipers won't release - giving you brake-rub.

Now I have brifters that cost a bazillion pounds and don't want to scuff them up.

C R

Guru
I've never had the least problem removing/replacing wheels - or indeed any other job - with the bike the right way up. Can't think of a job that would require it. Maybe polishing the underside of the BB.

My aversion to turning it over comes from the days of brake levers with the cable coming out the top. Turn that over and you risk putting a kink into the inner cable and the callipers won't release - giving you brake-rub.

Now I have brifters that cost a bazillion pounds and don't want to scuff them up.

How do you manage out on the road? I use a stand at home, but if I have a puncture when out and about the only way I can see to avoid damaging the rear derailleur when taking out the rear wheel is to up end the bike, there's always a grassy verge that will be kind to the brifters.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
How do you manage out on the road? I use a stand at home, but if I have a puncture when out and about the only way I can see to avoid damaging the rear derailleur when taking out the rear wheel is to up end the bike, there's always a grassy verge that will be kind to the brifters.

either lay it on its non derailleur side on the verge after wheel removal, hang it by it handlebars over a convenient gate, or hand it to your riding buddy and say hold that...

Petrichorwheels

ah - should have said - flat bar rider here - and the bar ends keep anything delicate (mounts etc) nicely clear of the ground. Flat-bar easier in so many ways.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Laying on the side has a much larger contact area, and hence a much bigger chance of scratching something.

Never had to lay the bike on its side either. Leant gently against or hung on wall, post, bench or such like has always worked for me.

Top Bottom