Do you check your tyres for debris?

How often do you check your tyres for debris?

• Every ride

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Annually

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only after a puncture

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • What is this debris checking necromancy of which you speak?

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
On the road, I always turn my bike upside down to remove wheels, I find it easier.

I know it's not how the professionals do it, my father-in-law was a bike mechanic for the pro teams and my uncle was a three times National Champs medalist, so I've been told "that's not how you take wheels off" often enough.:ohmy:

Yes, upside down can scratch the saddle and levers, but that's the only problem I can see.:okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
I generally only turn upside down on ancient lounge carpet or lawn
Or place on something like an old towel. My brifters are more likely to be scratched in a tumble!

Reactions: C R

Petrichorwheels

On the road, I always turn my bike upside down to remove wheels, I find it easier.

I know it's not how the professionals do it, my father-in-law was a bike mechanic for the pro teams and my uncle was a three times National Champs medalist, so I've been told "that's not how you take wheels off" often enough.:ohmy:

Yes, upside down can scratch the saddle and levers, but that's the only problem I can see.:okay:

feel a song coming on.
For all those anal rules followers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIAtE6ywgwA

love your bike.

Sharky

Guru

When I met your uncle and we gave him a lift back to Warrington after a race, all the bikes were fastened to the roof rack UPSIDE DOWN as was the normal practice in those days. No fancy cycle carriers.

Fredo76

Über Member
I remember the UCI training manual from long ago, translated from Italian, had a sentence something like "Ensure to control the exterior surfaces of tubulars for objects which may render their efficiency precarious whilst racing."

Got it!

I watch mine for a revolution each, after rolling over our driveway gravel, where goatheads still wait patiently.

silva

Über Member
I do it after I hear tyre riding over something that sounds unusual, when I'm working on the bike and checking the tyres is just abit more work, or along the road had to stop anyway and I'm bored.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I once had to get along the verge near Forfar on foot to get past road resurfacing with tar and gravel. Once past the most recently done bit I remounted and cycled on the gravel surface. Unfortunately the underlying tar had not hardened and the tyres were quickly coated with tar and gravel which took an age to get off enough to let me ride back to the campsite. Once there it took me a couple of hours to get the tyres free of gravel and tar. Being 20 inch wheels did make it a bit quicker than larger ones I suppose. :ohmy:

This is why I use Schwalbe tyres

This was my commuter bike from the early 2000s

I know the date shown is 2007 but these tyres were probably on there for 4 years +
Someone asked me, if I'd ridden through red paint.......
It shows how puncture resistant they were!!:okay::okay:
'Blizzards'??

2007. Yellow Bike. 3.JPG

2007. Yellow Bike. 5.JPG

Top Bottom