Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Occasionally for difficult jobs

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Only briefly in mid air following a collision or loss of control

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • How very dare you, I'm not a savage!

Votes: 20 35.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
There should be an option for only when out on the road without access to a stand.

presta

Guru
When I turn mine over it rests on the horns of the rubber brake hoods without damage. I wouldn't do it if there was paint or plastic components to get chewed up, and I don't do it unless there's somewhere clean, and mud-free. I take the panniers and bottles off first.

Once when I changed a stem I had to re-make my map holder to fit it, and took the opportunity to raise it up to make it easier to see. Only after I'd finished did I realise that it was now preventing me turning the bike over, so I had to do it all again.

In the garage at home I put the parking stand on a table, and use that.

Willd

Veteran
Occasionally for difficult jobs - not that I do it very often, but cleaning the cable-guides (no fancy internal cabling I'm afraid :whistle:) on the underside of the bottom bracket is much easier with the bike upside down :okay:

Jody

Stubborn git
Depends on which bike.

I don't have to worry about scratching bar tape, saddle or hoods on my MTB

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I have a workstand too, but (on the Single Speed) I find aligning the rear wheel with the chain tugs, easier when the bike is upside down.

Sometimes it's still on the workstand when I do this and sometimes (to the annoyance of Mrs V) on the carpet :whistle:

Alex321

Veteran
At home, it will normally go in the workstand for cleaning, or for any adjustment of components necessary.

But if I need to take off either wheel, it will normally be upside down because I have never mastered the knack of getting them back in with it right way up.

Top Bottom