Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Occasionally for difficult jobs

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Only briefly in mid air following a collision or loss of control

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • How very dare you, I'm not a savage!

Votes: 20 35.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
when I was a kid, whenever I worked on it. now, never
RR and bike 1970s.jpg

that picnic table, fence & detached garage are long gone from my parents' house, but the patio is still there & I still have those needle nose pliers

I'm not sure if it's good for hydraulic brakes. But the rum brake - if it's grass - no bother. Never on concrete though.

Jody

Stubborn git
Hydraulic brakes are a sealed system, there really shouldn't be any air to migrate

It's sealed (when the lever is pulled) between the master piston and caliper but there has to be some air introduced into the reservoir to allow for pad wear.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/shimano-hydraulic-brake-service-and-adjustment

"Additionally, the bike should not be stored or turned upside down, as air may enter the brake lines. If the bike has been upside down, allow it to sit several minutes before use, and test the levers by pulling with force"

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
It's sealed (when the lever is pulled) between the master piston and caliper but there has to be some air introduced into the reservoir to allow for pad wear.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/shimano-hydraulic-brake-service-and-adjustment

"Additionally, the bike should not be stored or turned upside down, as air may enter the brake lines. If the bike has been upside down, allow it to sit several minutes before use, and test the levers by pulling with force"

I find both my bikes suffer like this, although the Shimano (mineral oil ones) recover pretty quicky. I quick pull and quick release of both levers usually returns the air back to the top. The Avid (dot oil) ones however are a different story - although they are pigs at best anyway.

Ironically, many suspension fork manufactures suggest storing the bike upside down (for long periods) to avoid the seals from drying out.

What's a guy to do ?

I know, get out on the bike more :laugh:

Jody

Stubborn git
Fluid reservoirs allow for pad wear + if minute traces of air exist in the reservoir they go nowhere

Only if air is allowed after the master cylinder (the sealed part)

Air in the reservoir does not affect braking.

Same as in your car/motorbike. There is air in the fluid reservoir but not after the master cylinder or in the lines.

Venod

Eh up
After every ride its the easiest solution to flip it upside down on the bench for a clean and lube.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Although I never turn mine upside down, and never feel the need to, that's just me. I don't think there should be a rule or anything. I'm not much of a one for roolz.

Last edited:

silva

Über Member
I never worked on a bike not upside down.
Couple years ago I purchased a second hand stand that was produced for another purpose.
I tried it a couple times then went back to upside down, it's just easier to work on it. No bending over and gravity drops bags etc out of the way.
Since a year I do all the work along the road anyway, as a kinda habit / training / checking all tools with me and still ok. Not that far from home usually, though.

Top Bottom