Do you cover your knees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I went to the bike shop the other day on a frosty morning and a friendly fella in the shop, noticing I was in shorts, commented that I should keep my knees covered in cold weather. Something about poor blood circulation in that area and possible long-term knee damage.

Does anyone concur?

don't know about the circulation and damage bit but i always wear longs ,of varying thickness/warmth, when the temperature drops. no one in the club is still in shorts now.

it's best to keep your knees covered in the cold weather... i've noticed i get pains in the knee(s) if i do ride in shorts when it's still a bit chilly in the spring.

better safe than sorry - get some knee-warmers or longs.

L

laurence said:
it's best to keep your knees covered in the cold weather... i've noticed i get pains in the knee(s) if i do ride in shorts when it's still a bit chilly in the spring.

better safe than sorry - get some knee-warmers or longs.

L

What he said.

col

Legendary Member
A friends dad,who was a long distant driver for all his working life,had a bad elbow, and shoulder problems when he retired.Aparentally it was caused by having his drivers window down,and resting his elbow on it, that has caused the problems mentioned.So i suppose constant wind and or chill may cause problems for us,sounds fair advice.

An English mate of mine here used to cycle in shorts in very cold weather cos he wanted to show the locals that he was a hard Englishman.
Apparantly though, some kind of fluid in the knee all but froze, leaving him in agony, from which he is still plaguedwith.
No idea what the technical name for it is, though!

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
shoot! Wow! Some real horror stories there...better do what the man says and put my longs on.

bonj2

Dayvo said:
An English mate of mine here used to cycle in shorts in very cold weather cos he wanted to show the locals that he was a hard Englishman.
Apparantly though, some kind of fluid in the knee all but froze, leaving him in agony, from which he is still plaguedwith.
No idea what the technical name for it is, though!

Frozenkneefluiditis?

Brock

I accidentally set off with tiny trainer socks the other morning. Knees were ok under 3/4 length shorts, but my ankles didn't half feel the cold. The underwear draw is a confusing place at 6.30am with a hangover.

Definitely cover the knees!

I tend to head for the knee warmers around 16deg c

I have rotated patella so my knees are very very sensitive to so many factors - cold is one of them guarenteed to set them off hurting. I just think that the chances of long term damage vs wearing knee warmers is a no-brainer :evil: , then again, I am proabably more paranoid about this kind of thing than most!

Top Bottom