Do you ever get this on the road..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

: your riding along,

...and its a straight road,

:there is a road which intersects with the road your on, to the right...ahead,

You notice a car wanting to pull-out, make a right turn (onto the road your on) and go in your direction,

THiS IS THE 'POINT':

The car driver doesn't wait, till you pass, pulls out, driving 'along side you', then once its got enough speed, moves in front of you and accelerates away.

col

Legendary Member
They can be impatient buggers cant they:smile:

Jonathan M

yenrod said:
: your riding along,

...and its a straight road,

:there is a road which intersects with the road your on, to the right...ahead,

You notice a car wanting to pull-out, make a right turn (onto the road your on) and go in your direction,

THiS IS THE 'POINT':

The car driver doesn't wait, till you pass, pulls out, driving 'along side you', then once its got enough speed, moves in front of you and accelerates away.

Happens all the time to me.Worst incident like this was on Dragon Lane, where Shaw Lane joins, near Whiston Hosp, by a minicab, when I shook my head he took off on one at me. Got his plate number, rang Knowsley, he lost his plate - other complaints about him apparenlty!

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Jonathan M said:
Happens all the time to me.Worst incident like this was on Dragon Lane, where Shaw Lane joins, near Whiston Hosp, by a minicab, when I shook my head he took off on one at me. Got his plate number, rang Knowsley, he lost his plate - other complaints about him apparenlty!

Thats quite a radical decision. They don't have the best notoriety.

Taxi's in this locality, as it seems your fairly close to me, are/where near equalling regular cars - just for the record Jon I will tell you this; Britannia are branching out into other area of Liverpool - so there are less in the Prescot/Whiston area!

Doesn't bother me. As long as the driver is good and uses the opposite carriageway to accelerate ie not bothering me or oncoming traffic. Makes best use of the road space. No point the car waiting for me to pass with all that tarmac free.

As with most things, it works if people are sensible and considerate.

Jonathan M

cheadle hulme said:
Doesn't bother me. As long as the driver is good and uses the opposite carriageway to accelerate ie not bothering me or oncoming traffic. Makes best use of the road space. No point the car waiting for me to pass with all that tarmac free.

As with most things, it works if people are sensible and considerate.

I suppose the point is that they wouldn't do this to another road user - cyclists being viewed differently to other users.

peanut

I have just started cycling again recently after a 4 year layoff. I am amazed how driver attitude to safety has deteriorated.

You can no longer expect drivers to be safe and considerate or even drive legally . The only answer now is to cycle the same way as we all have to drive our cars now. Aggressively... assertively and position your car or bike in such a way that you command the bit of road that is yours.

Don't drive in the gutter, take the centre of the road to prevent some idiot overtaking you on a bend and pushing you into the hedge or ditch. make it clear to oncoming traffic that you intend to take the right of way if it is yours.

Its scary but even more scary if you don't as drivers will squeeze you into the kerb and take ridiculous risks to get past you otherwise.

peanut

yenrod said:
Bad isn't it.

its a jungle out there :angry:

Marko62

On one occasion I was trundling along at about 25 mph on a straight flat when from a pub car park on my right a car driver waited, looked, saw me then seeing as he had enough space to safely pull out and accelerate away without getting in my way, pulled out then failed to accelerate so therefore getting in my way causing me to have to break down to 15 mphish.

He seriously underestimated how fast I was going and was quite surprised when I was alongside his rear wing. THEN he accelerated, I was rather annoyed :biggrin:

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Marko62 said:
On one occasion I was trundling along at about 25 mph on a straight flat when from a pub car park on my right a car driver waited, looked, saw me then seeing as he had enough space to safely pull out and accelerate away without getting in my way, pulled out then failed to accelerate so therefore getting in my way causing me to have to break down to 15 mphish.

He seriously underestimated how fast I was going and was quite surprised when I was alongside his rear wing. THEN he accelerated, I was rather annoyed :rolleyes:

Under-estimation of speed, of a cyclist, is very common!

max_man

yenrod said:
Under-estimation of speed, of a cyclist, is very common!

Yep, I get it all the time and I'm by no means fast...I hate it when cars come past just before lights, as soon as they have pulled in they have to stop, why not just hold back a few seconds.....:biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Doesn't bother me either, as long as they plan it and do it safely.

Mind you, once a drive did this misjudged, and wiped out a traffic island and his van. How I laughed.

Top Bottom