Do you ever get this on the road..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Jonathan M said:
I suppose the point is that they wouldn't do this to another road user - cyclists being viewed differently to other users.

And indeed, we are different to other road users. As long as peoples' views are not at odds with others' well-being, I feel it's OK.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
hackbike 6 said:
Mind you, once a drive did this misjudged, and wiped out a traffic island and his van. How I laughed.

Not really funny as these people put lives at risk.

Although I'm glad this driver didn't, in this situation, as he chose to hit the island instead of me. Actually, thinking back, there was quite a lot of space, I was on the fixed wheel uprong, and I suspect he just didn't look properly and got a fright, which made him swerve into the island even though there was enough room.

Maybe it's a little unkind of me to have laughed?

domtyler

Über Member
I actually do this exact manoeuvre on my commute. I go through a little rat run and then have to do a right turn onto a road with speed bumps and chicanes, I just have to look right and if it is clear I do my right turn into the rh carriageway even if there is something in the lh carriageway going in the same direction. As there is a speed cushion straight away and then a chicane a hundred feet further on on this 20mph road I can always be sure of pulling away even if it is a nutter I have pulled alongside.

So I don't personally have a big problem with this type of manoeuvre as it can generally be done safely.

Jonathan M

Landslide said:
And indeed, we are different to other road users. As long as peoples' views are not at odds with others' well-being, I feel it's OK.

Interesting, because my feelings are that cyclists are still currently marginalised as a road user - whereas in France, as an example, cyclists are afforded in law all of the same road rights as other users, and on the whole this appears to be respected by others.
A car driver would probably thik twice about perorming Yenrod's described manoevre with a motorbike or a scooter rider, even though within an urban environment they may not be riding much faster than a good-going cyclist could achieve. A mtorbike rider may be wearing kit that would offer much more protection than a cyclists equivalnet as well. But faced with a cyclist, such consideration would not feature in many drivers thoughts.

Being different in terms of choosing to use none motorised transport is not the same as being different in having to expect other road users not to consider a cyclists safety.

I'd agree that this is probably not the riskiest scenario for a cyclist, but when it occurs it does tend to suggest a blatant lack of regard for the cyclist from that particular driver.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Jonathan M said:
Interesting, because my feelings are that cyclists are still currently marginalised as a road user - whereas in France, as an example, cyclists are afforded in law all of the same road rights as other users, and on the whole this appears to be respected by others.
A car driver would probably thik twice about perorming Yenrod's described manoevre with a motorbike or a scooter rider, even though within an urban environment they may not be riding much faster than a good-going cyclist could achieve. A mtorbike rider may be wearing kit that would offer much more protection than a cyclists equivalnet as well. But faced with a cyclist, such consideration would not feature in many drivers thoughts.

Being different in terms of choosing to use none motorised transport is not the same as being different in having to expect other road users not to consider a cyclists safety.

I'd agree that this is probably not the riskiest scenario for a cyclist, but when it occurs it does tend to suggest a blatant lack of regard for the cyclist from that particular driver.

Jonathan,

Think you've the wrong end of the stick here.

The cyclist is the one being subject to risky manouvre as they are NOT going anywhere - 'cept straight on !

Its the CARDRIVER whos making the turn ONTO to then road, the cyclist is on THEN having said jerk drive alongside them whilst they floor the engine to get away form the cyclist.

ITS TOTALLY WRONG ! - Especially if theirs a car oncoming !

Who, would you feel would be 'taken out' if the oncoming was travelling fast and the pulling out vehicle got the speed of this oncoming totally wrong;

They'd need to go in one direction:

A left - thecyclist

B nothing, they'd brake ('backwards')

OR

C they'd hit the oncoming !

D they could try right, before the oncoming hit them.

I dont want to be or put up with being A.

domtyler

Über Member
Meester Yenrod, don't you ever ride in primary to prevent people pulling stunts like this on you? :thumbsdown:

Jonathan M

yenrod said:
Jonathan,

Think you've the wrong end of the stick here.

The cyclist is the one being subject to risky manouvre as they are NOT going anywhere - 'cept straight on !

Its the CARDRIVER whos making the turn ONTO to then road, the cyclist is on THEN having said jerk drive alongside them whilst they floor the engine to get away form the cyclist.

ITS TOTALLY WRONG ! - Especially if theirs a car oncoming !

Who, would you feel would be 'taken out' if the oncoming was travelling fast and the pulling out vehicle got the speed of this oncoming totally wrong;

They'd need to go in one direction:

A left - thecyclist

B nothing, they'd brake ('backwards')

OR

C they'd hit the oncoming !

D they could try right, before the oncoming hit them.

I dont want to be or put up with being A.

Yenners, when I said it wasn't the riskiest manovre for a bike, I didn't mean risk as taken by the rider, but being on the bike when this happens to me doesn't feel as bad as the car that overtakes then turns left in front of me. Not disputing it carries a risk, nor am Ipalcing blame on the cyclist. I don't like this happening to me, norenjoy it when it does happen - so hopefully I've got the right end of the stick - something to hold onto and beat the next car driver tha annoys me with!

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Jonathan M said:
Yenners, when I said it wasn't the riskiest manovre for a bike, I didn't mean risk as taken by the rider, but being on the bike when this happens to me doesn't feel as bad as the car that overtakes then turns left in front of me. Not disputing it carries a risk, nor am Ipalcing blame on the cyclist. I don't like this happening to me, norenjoy it when it does happen - so hopefully I've got the right end of the stick - something to hold onto and beat the next car driver tha annoys me with!

I did once have a fracas with a taxidriver once - it was split up by a bus driver!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't just ride in the middle of my carriageway in traffic, I ride well out towards the centre where everybody can see me and I stay there until the traffic speed increases, when I pull to the nearside third to let cars pass me but only by passing wide.

It's all down to body language and your dominance of the bit of road you need to occupy. If you dither and look intimidated they will take advantage of you, whatever you're riding or driving.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Rigid Raider said:
I don't just ride in the middle of my carriageway in traffic, I ride well out towards the centre where everybody can see me and I stay there until the traffic speed increases, when I pull to the nearside third to let cars pass me but only by passing wide.

It's all down to body language and your dominance of the bit of road you need to occupy. If you dither and look intimidated they will take advantage of you, whatever you're riding or driving.

I'm similar to your 1st paragraph like you Rigid.

Some drivers don't like that.

I've had a few comments like 'your too far out' etc...another 'i passed you close cause i didnt know what your doing/going' :biggrin:

pes

peanut said:
I have just started cycling again recently after a 4 year layoff. I am amazed how driver attitude to safety has deteriorated.

You can no longer expect drivers to be safe and considerate or even drive legally . The only answer now is to cycle the same way as we all have to drive our cars now. Aggressively... assertively and position your car or bike in such a way that you command the bit of road that is yours.

Don't drive in the gutter, take the centre of the road to prevent some idiot overtaking you on a bend and pushing you into the hedge or ditch. make it clear to oncoming traffic that you intend to take the right of way if it is yours.

Its scary but even more scary if you don't as drivers will squeeze you into the kerb and take ridiculous risks to get past you otherwise.

Peanut, you are dead right.
I firmly believe it is down to advancement in in-car technology.
All drivers now have sat nav, hands free mobiles, air con, sound systems etc. etc.
They are coccooned in their little comfort zone and feel totally secure and invincible. I'm the same, although I do look out for cyclists when I'm driving.

peanut

pes said:
Peanut, you are dead right.
I firmly believe it is down to advancement in in-car technology.
All drivers now have sat nav, hands free mobiles, air con, sound systems etc. etc.
They are coccooned in their little comfort zone and feel totally secure and invincible. I'm the same, although I do look out for cyclists when I'm driving.

welcome Pes
yes thats the problem isn't it. There are other factors too. I see a lot of drivers drive too fast for the prevailing conditions weather etc. They seem unable to assess changing circumstances and have one speed fits all attitude.

A woman teacher (neigbour) drives down a drive at 15-20 mph even though it is a private lane with children animals and disabled senior citizens
This morning she almost hit another neighbour because she didn't slow for a blind bend :birthday: crazy and irresponsible driving but if you mentioned it to her she would deny it and be highly indignant. at the suggestion.

jimboalee

Rigid Raider. Correct.

Ride with a confident demeanor. Look around. Show the other roadusers you mean business. Stand up on the pedals now-and-again. Wave you butt around. Weave gently. Keep them guessing.

MessenJah

Rider
yenrod said:
: your riding along,

...and its a straight road,

:there is a road which intersects with the road your on, to the right...ahead,

You notice a car wanting to pull-out, make a right turn (onto the road your on) and go in your direction,

THiS IS THE 'POINT':

The car driver doesn't wait, till you pass, pulls out, driving 'along side you', then once its got enough speed, moves in front of you and accelerates away.
I had difficulty working out what you meant at first but now I know exactly what you mean, and yes it happens all the time. It really annoys me as it's one of those pointless manouvres that saves them no time at all. Why they can't just pull out after I've passed and then overtake is beyond comprehension.

Top Bottom