Do You Find That Most People Hate Cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I don't think that most people hate cyclists, but I do think it is just about socially acceptable to hate us without being challenged. A noisy minority.
I agree with this. Most of my non-cycling neighbours and people I talk to are at least kind of curious about cycling and even a little envious / regretful that they don't cycle more. And I don't get hate when I'm out really, well only very rarely.

Most hate towards cyclists is all virtual and online, it's kind of more acceptable there and the keyboard warriors like to hunt in big packs, they feel more vindicated and brave then. Don't discuss cycling in online fora, with the exception of cycling fora. (Welcome by the way!)

I do think the US *can* be worse than Europe though it depends on the location. I cycle in Atlanta and I've never had any hassle, but it's quite a youngish population who are into fitness and the parks and beltway are full of bikes. In some other places there's definitely a suspicion that you can't afford a car or are "weird". There's also some jealousy at play, there's a fitness and leisure wave among younger people in the US and it's leaving some people behind, and maybe feeling guilty about their own lifestyle.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
As cycling has become more high profile in the U.K. cycling has become more popular and less perceived as a poor persons pastime. Motorists are now required to give you a 2m (I think) margin when passing. This together with cycle lanes has created hostility towards us. Unfortunately there’s always going to be the make them wear helmets, have registration plates, insurance etc brigade but things aren’t too bad.
I'd be terrified to cycle in the US not due to the heavy traffic but because nearly everyone seems to carry a gun. What if a motorist takes exception to you :ohmy:
When I lived in the Oklahoma/Texas area, the only thing that worried me about bike riding was when riding on two lane roads that have no breakdown lane on the side. Vehicles would often zoom by you, treating you like you weren’t even there, some people probably winding up in a ditch just trying to stay out of the way of the vehicles. However, having ridden lots of other places in the United States I have never felt concerned about guns, bats or fists coming into play, because I don’t allow myself to be drawn into heated, confrontational situations. I would rather do my best to stay calm and live to ride another day. :becool: Traffic is traffic. It is what it is. Just try to ride smart and be safe, and the rest of it is out of our hands anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Punkawallah

Über Member
Sounds like the OP has had the rough end of it. So much for 'laid back' California! :-)

The only 'hate' I get from 'most people' in the UK is almost 'pro forma' - "so you're the one that's always in my way" sort of thing. They can barely work up the energy for a good rant :-)

Of course, you always get the odd idiot (looking at you, swearing while your car try's to overtake on a roundabout). But I'd agree that t'Interweb is notoriously populated by people with too much free time & spite, and should be viewed with a pinch of salt.

Good luck with your future cycling - don't give up :-)

I think cities and new corp of cyclists with lycra and expensive bikes go thru a phase. I remember London about 15 years ago, OZ etc where used to get horned at or the obligatory punishment pass. Motorists getting upset when 2 abreast even when there is little traffic.

Things have improved tremendously. Now cyclists going to the front at every traffic stop is a ubiquitous sight. I see more and more motorists accommodating.

It will get better for sure. Australia and Singapore are now full of cyclists and in tandem with the usual traffic.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Pretty sure this isn't enshrined in law yet. It's just a vague "give as much space as you would to a car when overtaking".
The law is give 1m when passing a cyclist in my part of the world, and totally ignored by everyone except those that actually care and would give you more courtesy, concern & room anyway. I have also NEVER seen a law officer approach ANY driver for endangering a bike rider, certainly not for any “be careful when passing” safety law.

gbb

Legendary Member
I divide it into three groups.
Most people are sensible, patient and manage to carry on around cyclists without having a hissy fit.

Some are just oblivious to your needs, peds, cyclists, whatever. They're just impatient, stupid, poor drivers.

A minority (imho) actually hate cyclists. We have an old friend from NI who is a lorry driver. He hates cyclists, shouldnt be on the road etc etc. We have some 'interesting' but pointless conversations, he's a decent chap but has a hatred of cyclists, possibly because he's driving 30 tonnes of vehicle all over Europe on all sorts of roads, i'm sure he's seen and been around plenty of incidents, cyclists, cars, everything. Not defending him particually but i havnt spent time in his shoes driving that 30 odd tonnes of metal around.

proletaratOne

As cycling has become more high profile in the U.K. cycling has become more popular and less perceived as a poor persons pastime. Motorists are now required to give you a 2m (I think) margin when passing. This together with cycle lanes has created hostility towards us. Unfortunately there’s always going to be the make them wear helmets, have registration plates, insurance etc brigade but things aren’t too bad.
I'd be terrified to cycle in the US not due to the heavy traffic but because nearly everyone seems to carry a gun. What if a motorist takes exception to you :ohmy:
I was about to say…. We don’t all have guns

but then I thought , yeah I have a few guns…. Valid point

Milzy

Guru
I think it is partly a jealousy thing. We can cycle more or less everywhere on the road network, which if we pay any kind of tax we contribute to, but the 'haters' seem to not realise or forget.
We don't have to pay extra taxes, ie. fuel, VED(vehicle excise duty) vat on servicing, spare parts, MOT testing etc, which also gets the 'haters' backs up because overall it is pretty cheap to cycle around.
Which is frustrating because most of us have multiple cars as well. Some are very nice high VED ones & the cycle person could well be paying a lot more council tax & VED than the idiot moaning.

proletaratOne

LOL we got called “biker puffs” a bit ago but we just laugh and changed out WhatsApp group chat name to “biker puffs”.
Yeah don’t quite get it

I had to look it up…as a fairly new rider, who is mostly into racing. I’m not up on bike culture. But this moultron looks a bit different( and cool actually… but I think recumbent and those double deckers look cool too… soooo)

anyways not sure about the homophobic slurs…..I mean last time I checked my bike didn’t really have ANY sex life. Much less straight gay or bi

however I’m curious…. What are the advantages and disadvantages of such a odd shaped bike…and why did you go with it

Top Bottom