Do you find yourself going as fast as you can when you commute or are you more relaxed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LiamW

Had a guy pass me on a CX bike this morning. I made no effort to catch him - but 3 miles down the road, I passed him anyway, blowing out his a****
Regular occurrence on my commute in and out of Belfast. I'm on a cheap Ribble with a rack and panniers while these boyos fly by looking a scalp. The little drag up the Lisburn road home soon sees you spinning by them huffing and puffing.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My average riding speed is about 20kph. But I sometimes have commutes where I restrict my speed to under 20kph, except going down hills and then I don't pedal.

It is hard to discipline yourself to do this. But the big surprise is how little time you lose compared to a normal commute where you are often pushing quite hard. By pooling along, you only lose a couple of km per hour.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It is hard to discipline yourself to do this. But the big surprise is how little time you lose compared to a normal commute where you are often pushing quite hard. By pooling along, you only lose a couple of km per hour.

This in spades.
My usual 17 mile morning commute, dependent on the traffic can average anything between 14-17mph. Today I 'pootled' in, no racing, no 'all out' just taking it easy. I was still within that 14-17 range.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This in spades.
My usual 17 mile morning commute, dependent on the traffic can average anything between 14-17mph. Today I 'pootled' in, no racing, no 'all out' just taking it easy. I was still within that 14-17 range.
Amen. And for shorter commutes it's even worse: after four years or so since the last layout change, I'm now pretty sure that the time taken on my most-used 5 mile route is almost entirely determined by at what stage in the cycle I arrive at the second set of traffic lights... if it's a certain stage, I will get straight through without stopping, but arrive at a certain other stage in the cycle, I will get red lights at all of the next four until I'm delayed so it's as if I'd arrived at the straight-through stage. There's two sets of lights that can delay me or speed me up in rare situations but that's marginal, maybe 10 seconds each. Commuting - it's really not about the bike or rider :smile:

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 4995268, member: 43827"]It's only racing if the other rider treats it the same way.[/QUOTE]
Oh they may put on a brave face trying to be all swan like but underneath their pedalling furiously trying to avoid being passed. :whistle:

Top Bottom