Do you find yourself going as fast as you can when you commute or are you more relaxed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
When I go on a leisurely weekend 30 mile jolly the pace isn't particularly slow, but I don't "fly" along either - but when I'm on my commute I just can't take it easy, I have to go at a fast pace.

I don't know if it's the time pressure (although I usually arrive with time to spare) or just subconsciously trying to make the most of the short ride time by working my body harder, but I wondered if it is just me or do any of you feel the need to "stoke it" all the way when commuting?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to go quickly when possible as it was training.

Sadly no more. Not been on the bike much since the accident.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yep, at least 95% of my commutes get 100% effort. I don't know why because I am never late or even cutting it fine. I think it is two things. 1, as it is only 10 miles I don't have to pace myself to make sure I can keep going all day like I would on a bigger ride of 50 or 100 miles. 2, it is commuting and as part of my day I want it to be a small portion, time wise. 3, I enjoy it. The traffic, the speed, the physical workout. Beats going to the gym any day.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I try not to race or give it the full beans on the commute. But it never works out that way. You always seem to be watching the times and averages, trying to beat the previous days ride or a personal best. And then there's the SCR. I tell myself on a regular basis, OK take it nice and easy this morning, it's a lovely day, no need to cough up a lung for any reason.. and then another cyclists comes shooting by or there's one ahead and it's like a red rag to a bull. You just go for it. All what you thought earlier about taking it easy goes out of the window.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
One of the reasons I built the single-speed was to push myself harder on my measly, mostly flat, 3.5 mile commute.

On my other bike, I couldn't possibly push myself any further, without becoming a danger to the general public and myself

As for the "red rag to the bull" thing with the rider in front - I spent several weeks trying to catch the same bloke on the final hill of my commute - only to find (when I finally got close enough) that he was on an e-bike!

jarlrmai

Veteran
I had a ten mile commute it becomes your own TT after a while 28 minutes with traffic lights / traffic etc was my best ever time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
only to find (when I finally got close enough) that he was on an e-bike!

Happens to a fair few of us I guess :okay:

Last night catch up for me was one of these

19755831_10154945366335958_1027048527_n.jpg

rivers

How far can I go?
It depends on my mood. Most of the time, in the morning, not really. I haven't quite woken up yet. On the ride home, if conditions allow, I will go for it.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Back when I was properly fit, I would aim to do the first 26km leg of my commute inside 50 minutes, ie an average of 32kmh. The route is mostly very flat, so that's quite achievable. There is one little climb on it though, and I always enjoyed attacking it hard. I was KOM on Strava for a while but some segment bagger came along and nicked it. Pah!

The second leg of my commute, from Bromley to central London involved going over Crystal Palace, and I got quite good at that too. The long, flat section from Denmark Hill to E&C is a bit of a drag strip, and I could never resist getting involved in regular SCR battles along there.

Jimidh

Veteran
I have a few Strava Live Segments set up on the hilly sections of my commute and it livens up the morning ride although as I have ridden that route so many times and in perfect conditions ( massive tail winds) then it is mostly a challenge to get close to my best times most days.

Top Bottom