Do you find yourself going as fast as you can when you commute or are you more relaxed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I have a few Strava Live Segments set up on the hilly sections of my commute and it livens up the morning ride although as I have ridden that route so many times and in perfect conditions ( massive tail winds) then it is mostly a challenge to get close to my best times most days.

Same here. If I can get below 1 minute on the final hill - on the Single Speed (48 secs on the GT) then I am happy

OP
OP
Bimble

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Silly Commuter Racing.
C'mon Bimble... keep up :okay:
Oh yeah, guilty of a bit of that too ... but only if I'm confident of catching them and keeping ahead, otherwise I'd just get past them and have to crash 'n' burn. :blush:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
but I wondered if it is just me or do any of you feel the need to "stoke it" all the way when commuting?
It's not just you but most people only do it if late... and given most people cycling seem to allow a few minutes extra for the infrequent mechanicals or deflations or being held up by the more frequent motorist crashes, why would they be late? ;)

I do occasionally "give chase" if someone whooshes past me but days like today, where I've panniers with four carrier bags full in them and a saddlebag containing more, I give up and relax again when they get out of sight on a near-straight road! :laugh:

Silly Commuter Racing.
C'mon Bimble... keep up :okay:
Is that what you've been told the C stands for? :laugh: SCR - don't be one.

subaqua

What’s the point
not anymore. means i can wear " normal clothes" to travel to work in the spring thro to autumn unless its piddling down. lifes not about rushing everywhere.

that said I have succumbed to trying to catch and pass MAMIL all the gear no ideas while I am on the tourer with panniers laden. one asked me at the lights if it was electric bike. i responded with " nope this is powered by Guinness and pies "

dhd.evans

Veteran
Yep, and i suffer for it every week. I consciously take one day off the bike a week because i was starting to ache all over all the time. Now i only ache 4 days a week and take lot of rejuvenating fluids (aka beer) on my day of rest.

Commuting at pace is part of the fun of cycling!

jarlrmai

Veteran
Back when I was properly fit, I would aim to do the first 26km leg of my commute inside 50 minutes, ie an average of 32kmh. The route is mostly very flat, so that's quite achievable. There is one little climb on it though, and I always enjoyed attacking it hard. I was KOM on Strava for a while but some segment bagger came along and nicked it. Pah!

The second leg of my commute, from Bromley to central London involved going over Crystal Palace, and I got quite good at that too. The long, flat section from Denmark Hill to E&C is a bit of a drag strip, and I could never resist getting involved in regular SCR battles along there.

I'm still proud to have 4 of the KOM's on my commute, including a 5.3 mile one.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm still proud to have 4 of the KOM's on my commute, including a 5.3 mile one.
Part of my commute is on a cycle path next to a dual carriageway, the KOM has got to be on the road, no way you an do 30 + mph avg on the path as its only just wide enough for 1 bike and full of muck, overhanging branches and death wish rabbits.

Heigue'r

Veteran
I like to try and catch whoever is ahead...it livens up the 25mile commute for me.I used to get passed out alot when I was using the hardtail but now Im on a 'racer',its much more fun...It keeps me sane and pushes me along a bit..sometimes successful but then need to stay pushing so your not overtaken:laugh::laugh:...sometimes not successful pushing as hard as possible...I wouldnt say its red rag syndrome but makes for a more interesting commute

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yep, and i suffer for it every week. I consciously take one day off the bike a week because i was starting to ache all over all the time. Now i only ache 4 days a week and take lot of rejuvenating fluids (aka beer) on my day of rest.

Commuting at pace is part of the fun of cycling!
So what's the fun? The description of aching all over all the time or having to give up cycling some days isn't really selling it to me! Are you a masochist?

Heigue'r

Veteran
Absolutely not full gas for 25 miles,id be found in a heap on the side of the road somewhere...but being relatively new to commuting,id say I push on every commute...definetly not a bimble.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I used to do an occasional sunny cycle commute from Hebden Bridge to Burnley. (I had a lift laid on so I didn't bother riding unless the weather was nice and I fancied doing it.) It was 15 miles with a couple of long drags on the way out. Coming back there was a nasty climb before I was properly warmed up but there was more downhill than up that way so it was slightly quicker.

SCR Hebden Bridge to Burnley.gif

I always tried to beat my PBs. My fastest outward time was 49 minutes, corresponding to 18.4 mph. My best return time was 44 minutes, corresponding to 20.5 mph.

dhd.evans

Veteran
So what's the fun? The description of aching all over all the time or having to give up cycling some days isn't really selling it to me! Are you a masochist?

Heh, it does sound like it doesn't it! In all honesty it's because of family commitments though - I don't get out any other time on the bike (aside from a monthly 80mi spin that i fix in the diary) so i have to push myself when i get the chance.

Like Colin above i try to beat my PBs, not necessarily cream the KOM on Strava. It stands me in decent stead for when i do manage a sportive.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't go all out all the time, but I do like to stretch my legs a bit and as it's more or less the only exercise I get, then I think it's worth trying to make it count. There's a satisfaction to being "on top of my gear", or swooping into a bend, or feeling the wind in my hair (bonus points if it's not a gale-force headwind), or attacking on an uphill. There's a time and a place for bimbling but it's no substitute for endorphins

Top Bottom