Do you find yourself going as fast as you can when you commute or are you more relaxed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't get why some people like broccoli but, you know, it takes all sorts.
And it's part of the joy of forums trying to understand the other people, isn't it?

I could try to explain the joy of the combination of biting into the firm stem with the smoother innards and the bursty florets, but that would be serious topic drift. I hope I wouldn't keep posting about how I "have to" eat it and that cabbage (say) is a waste of plate space. ;)

D

Deleted member 1258

When I used to commute it was rarely flat out, I used to commute in my work clothes and steel toe capped boots, I used to open out toe clips then rebend them so I could use them with the boots.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm not sure whether Strava is screwing up cycling, or if the sort of people that enjoy Strava are the ones who would be running stopwatches on bits of their commute anyway. I'll leave it here now and I've written this before, but I do worry about those who view bimbling as wasted cycling and it's all about ever faster-faster, never about what you see or who you meet, because one day you'll max out for some reason (age, injury, ...) and what happens then?

I maxed out a few years ago and now my pace is dropping, old father time catching up. It can be annoying when I see friends who are in their 60's and 70's who haven't yet maxed out.

mjr

It doesn't come across to me that you're really making an effort to understand, more like demanding @dhd.evans to justify himself.
Not my intention. I think that's reading something into the words which isn't there. I picked someone almost at random to quote when pressing for something more descriptive than the "have to", "need to", "it's worth", "I enjoy it" assertions made by several posters but it's clearly not happening so I'll leave it now unless anyone wants to try.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Not my intention. I think that's reading something into the words which isn't there.

Maybe.

Anyway, the thing is that I don't think you'll ever get it. Maybe your brain is wired differently or something. We're all different, we all get our kicks in different ways, and sometimes it's beyond explanation.

I can't explain to myself, never mind anyone else, why I like riding so hard for 10 miles that I feel like I'm going to puke up my lungs, but I'll be doing the club TT this evening none the less.

And nothing anyone says will ever make me understand why they like broccoli.

mjr

You're a vegetable racist, you know that...
Oh good grief - you're even racing vegetables now? ;)

rb58

Enigma
I'm only suckered into SCR when commuting on fixed. And then only rarely and when I get the sense someone has just bust a gut to overtake me. I'm more of a zen-master these days :okay:

I try not to race or give it the full beans on the commute. But it never works out that way. You always seem to be watching the times and averages, trying to beat the previous days ride or a personal best. And then there's the SCR. I tell myself on a regular basis, OK take it nice and easy this morning, it's a lovely day, no need to cough up a lung for any reason.. and then another cyclists comes shooting by or there's one ahead and it's like a red rag to a bull. You just go for it. All what you thought earlier about taking it easy goes out of the window.

I could not have said if any better!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I always try as hard as i can , but how fast i go depends on weather, energy levels and how tired i am.This morning after nearly 2 hours overtime on nights my avg was down but my hands and feet were cold even with full finger gloves which i put down to low energy levels and tiredness.

al78

Guru
I try to go at a pace that is brisk but comfortable, definitely not all out, my commute is about 10 miles with hills. To go all out would have me arrive at work in a sweaty mess and fatigued, not a good start to the day, for the sake of saving five minutes, not worth it. In addition, if I were to go all out starting on Monday, by Wednesday I would be so weak and groggy that I would have to drive to work, again, what is the point, virtually no gain, with significant disadvantages (the assertion of keep at it and you'll get fitter doesn't work for me)?

Reactions: mjr

subaqua

What’s the point
When I used to commute it was rarely flat out, I used to commute in my work clothes and steel toe capped boots, I used to open out toe clips then rebend them so I could use them with the boots.

I wear kevlar/Carbon Fibre capped boots- a little bit lighter. in general . not just because I cycle in them.

Top Bottom