Do you get annoyed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i'm famous at work for being the girl that cycles. everytime i get in the lift there is someone in there saying "are you the girl that cycles 23 miles to work?" heehee.

i love it.

on the road

Über Member
tdr1nka said:
*:biggrin: I'm repeating Purplepolly's sentiments*
I feel sorry for those that don't know how easy it can be to cycle just 5 miles.
In general, most 'non-cyclists' can only equate distance in miles travelled by car.

I love it when folk marvel at my doing any distance over ten miles, especially when I point out that with some practice just about anyone can do this, and greater distances, if they simply apply themselves.
Absolutely. There was another thread about someone riding 5 miles, I was going to but in and say "I'm sure you've rode 5 miles before and not realised it". 5 miles would be like riding to the local park and back.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I often (not always) cycle the 17 or so miles to work... gets talked about at meetings, mostly because many of my colleagues appear to be sad misfits who can't function away from the workplace, and latch onto any small thing as a potential topic for conversation :tongue:
Happy to oblige, keeps me sane :cheers:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
No, I love it if I'm perfectly honest :cheers:

I always shrug it off as if it's nothing too. My commute? oh it's a mere 32 mile round trip, barely gets the legs warmed up :biggrin: (the reality is of courser that it's a grim, painful, wheezing undignified affair that leaves me feeling as if I've been run over by a truck :tongue: :smile:)

ComedyPilot said:
burger queen, .

PMSL :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
tdr1nka said:
*;) I'm repeating Purplepolly's sentiments*
I feel sorry for those that don't know how easy it can be to cycle just 5 miles.
In general, most 'non-cyclists' can only equate distance in miles travelled by car.

I love it when folk marvel at my doing any distance over ten miles, especially when I point out that with some practice just about anyone can do this, and greater distances, if they simply apply themselves.

+1

People are amazed that you can cycle in a city with hills as well, and I have to admit that before I returned to cycling it was one of the things that put me off. Cycling is one of those things that you need to try for yourself to discover that it is enjoyable and not as hard as it looks. And I still have admiration for those who get out and do those 1 or 2 miles maybe finding them tough to start with but gradually increasing their mileage too.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
It only annoys me when people follow it with 'Gosh you're brave' or something similar. Sigh, why must the myth remain that cyclists are danger junkies when some of us just want to get to work on time and possibly lose a bit of flab while we're at it.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm glad I'm not alone. I mean, I like it when I do a long ride and people say "oh, well done", that's just nice - and it's usually from fellow cyclists, so it matters more. It's when they go on and on....

And of course, you have to work up to it - I'd never belittle someone for being pleased with 5 miles - unless perhaps they'd been doing 5 miles on a regular basis for weeks..

Got my maps out last night, and worked it's about 110 miles to my Mum's....:biggrin:

While we're on the topic, does anyone else always make sure when someone asks how far you've come, you preface the distance, no matter how far with "oh, just....";)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Who are these so easily impressed folk? I've never met 'em. Do they look like these, as featured in yesterday's Guardian, queuing up for their £7.99 'eat as much as you like' Taybarns buffet?
2rc3es7.jpg

(hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging, cos that's NOT the intention). :biggrin:

At the beginning of November 2005, me and a mate started cycling from Sweden to Gibraltar.

At a youth hostel in Denmark, a woman working there started a conversation with us, which went a bit like this:

Her: Where are you heading?

Us: Gibraltar.

Her: When do you expect to get there?

Us: Just before Christmas

Her: WHAT? THIS Christmas!?!?

It was very funny to see her incredulous expression, and the fact that she thought we'd get there the following Christmas! :evil:

purplepolly

summerdays said:
And I still have admiration for those who get out and do those 1 or 2 miles maybe finding them tough to start with but gradually increasing their mileage too.

That's definately more impressive than arch doing 70 miles. The first few are always the hardest.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Dayvo said:
(hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging, cos that's NOT the intention). :biggrin:

At the beginning of November 2005, me and a mate started cycling from Sweden to Gibraltar.

At a youth hostel in Denmark, a woman working there started a conversation with us, which went a bit like this:

Her: Where are you heading?

Us: Gibraltar.

Her: When do you expect to get there?

Us: Just before Christmas

Her: WHAT? THIS Christmas!?!?

It was very funny to see her incredulous expression, and the fact that she thought we'd get there the following Christmas! :tongue:

That's going to take some beating :blush: dude.

Top Bottom