Do you have a favourite film genre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

XmisterIS said:
Dunno how I'd define the genre, but my DVD collection is:

Saw 1 - 6
Hostel
Hannibal Rising
Silence of the Lambs
Red Dragon
Hannibal
Deathwatch
8mm
Seven
Hamburger Hill
Saving Private Ryan
Aliens, Alien3, Alien Resurrection
Mist by Stephen King
Cube Zero
Hellraiser 1 - 3
Anatomie 1 & 2
28 Days Later
American Psycho
Hard Candy

Hostel and Hard Candy aren't any sort of genre except sick s**t!

mikeitup

Veteran
NickM said:
That's a niche that had not occurred to me!

Are you a martial arts exponent yourself, mikeitup? Is it the action which makes the film for you, or do they have more depth than that? (they do sound rather formulaic, but then what do I know?).

I have been training in Chinese Martial Arts for the last 6yrs or so (currently Chow Gar Soutnern Mantis) but I was a fan of Jackie Chan in the early 80's.
I remember a mate saying "you know that chinese bloke you are always raving about> He was on a Jonathan Ross show last night". that was in 89.

A guy called Bey logan (former editor of Combat and Impact! magazines used to have a kung fu film show at a gym in john bright street birmingham that I used to attend.

It was mainly the "fighting skills" that sparked my interest but since dvd and the release of many a classic previously unavailable I have watched some very deep and emotional films where the action has been just part of the story.

mikeitup

Veteran
Flying_Monkey said:
There's two classics of the genre. I would have added Fist of Fury, and (slightly off-genre, perhaps) A Chinese Ghost Story and New Dragon Gate Inn (a big influence on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), to my list - not sure I would have enough knowledge or enthusiasm (despite having studied kung-fu) to make a Top 10!

Some good films you mentioned. I am not a Bruce Lee fan and unlike alot of other people I didn't start martial arts because of him. It was a Lau Kar Leung (director of 36Chamber Of Shaolin et al) film called Challenge Of the Masters that featured a young Lau Kar fei in the role of Wong Fei Hung that got me into chinese boxing.

The only new release of any
movie I am looking forward toois the new Donnie Yen flick Ip Man 2. :wacko:

To be honest I didn't want to stop at 10 :sad:

mikeitup

Veteran
NickM said:
Ah... me, I'm a keen player of Mah Jong (Japanese Classical and Chinese Official styles) ;)

Funny, I just bought a Mah Jonng set and a book on how to play. Must be all those fight scenes in the gambling houses ;)

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
Mah Jong is a very enjoyable game, but is plagued with many, many differing sets of rules which can make learning it a confusing and protracted business. I recommend starting with the Japanese Classical rule set - it is the least complex and (to me, anyway) most logical. A good book which describes that version of the game is this one.

The Chinese Official rule set is the one now used internationally (it was originally introduced by the Chinese government as a way of allowing people to play Mah Jong without gambling, which is illegal in China, not that people seem to take much notice). It demands quite a lot more memorisation of tile combinations, so I would recommend tackling it only when you have got the basics sussed by playing Japanese Classical. The only book which explains these rules clearly and is available in the West is this (very cheap) one.

There is an excellent PC/pocket PC version of Mah Jong called Four Winds - I use it all the time. It is excellent for practice when you can't find three human opponents.

A couple of good Mah Jong websites:
http://www.sloperama.com/mjfaq.html
http://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/mahjong/index.html

Finding opponents can be difficult unless you are prepared to teach them yourself, so having a good grasp of the Japanese Classical rules is useful. Oddly, Mah Jong seems to be fairly popular in the Netherlands and Denmark - two excellent cycling countries! MsM and I hope eventually to go to one or other to take part in (and probably get slaughtered at) the European Championships.

U

User169

mikeitup

Veteran
NickM said:
Mah Jong is a very enjoyable game, but is plagued with many, many differing sets of rules which can make learning it a confusing and protracted business. I recommend starting with the Japanese Classical rule set - it is the least complex and (to me, anyway) most logical. A good book which describes that version of the game is this one.

The Chinese Official rule set is the one now used internationally (it was originally introduced by the Chinese government as a way of allowing people to play Mah Jong without gambling, which is illegal in China, not that people seem to take much notice). It demands quite a lot more memorisation of tile combinations, so I would recommend tackling it only when you have got the basics sussed by playing Japanese Classical. The only book which explains these rules clearly and is available in the West is this (very cheap) one.

There is an excellent PC/pocket PC version of Mah Jong called Four Winds - I use it all the time. It is excellent for practice when you can't find three human opponents.

A couple of good Mah Jong websites:
http://www.sloperama.com/mjfaq.html
http://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/mahjong/index.html

Finding opponents can be difficult unless you are prepared to teach them yourself, so having a good grasp of the Japanese Classical rules is useful. Oddly, Mah Jong seems to be fairly popular in the Netherlands and Denmark - two excellent cycling countries! MsM and I hope eventually to go to one or other to take part in (and probably get slaughtered at) the European Championships.

Thats great thanks for the info.
Will get those books and have bookmarked those websites.
:ohmy:

Top Bottom