Do you hill climb at your lowest possible gear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

A long time ago I was given this advice. It's a bit crude, but it may work for you:

If your legs are OK but your lungs are bursting, your gear is too low - change up.
If your legs are hurting but you are not out of breath, your gear is too high - change down.
Thank you. Perhaps I climb at a gear that is too low sometimes if my lungs feel like they'll burst sometimes on steep hills.

Johnsco

Old Fettler
As said .... It all depends ....
I use all 10 gear combinations - That's why I have them.
When hill climbing, it makes sense to use the highest ratio that you're comfortable with.
BUT
What I can manage now I'm 73 is rather different from what I managed when I was 18.
It's still the same Carlton ...... It's just me that's rather different.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
:shy:A bit of a silly ignorant question but how do I utilise my left gear for climbing?Is it meant to be high and my right gear low-right?

Left lever changes the cogs at the front, the right lever the cogs at the back. If you select a smaller cog at the front it lowers the gearing. If you select a bigger cog at the back it lowers the gearing. Before a hill change to the smaller cog at the front. Then change to larger cogs at back as necessary.

All you need to learn is which way you push each lever, does it get easier or harder to pedal?. Then push in right direction when going up the hill then down other side.

RichardB

Slightly retro
:shy:A bit of a silly ignorant question but how do I utilise my left gear for climbing?Is it meant to be high and my right gear low-right?

I find it easier to think of the cogs at the back as the actual gears, and the rings at the front as different ranges. Left is a lower range and right is a higher range. Obviously, there is some overlap. If I'm in hilly terrain, I switch to the left (smallest) ring, and when it levels out or goes downhill I switch to the right (largest). For each front ring, you can use all of the cogs at the back *except for the most extreme combinations - largest onto largest and smallest onto smallest - as this makes the chain run at an extreme angle and increases wear*. On a triple, you have a chainring in the middle which extends the number of ratios available to you.

Last edited:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Left lever changes the cogs at the front, the right lever the cogs at the back. If you select a smaller cog at the front it lowers the gearing. If you select a bigger cog at the back it lowers the gearing. Before a hill change to the smaller cog at the front. Then change to larger cogs at back as necessary.

All you need to learn is which way you push each lever, does it get easier or harder to pedal?. Then push in right direction when going up the hill then down other side.
Or get Di2 and set it in Syncro-shift and it does it for you:laugh:

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Or get Di2 and set it in Syncro-shift and it does it for you:laugh:
How does that work?

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
How does that work?
Some techno-trickery.
It’s quite annoying at first but you get used to it.
Basically if you’re on the big ring at the front and you go up the cassette too far it drops the front down to the small ring and moves the rear to find the same gear.It’s to stop chain crossover etc.
I can choose manual(normal) Syncro or semi-syncro.
Once you’ve had it you won’t want to go back!

RichardB

Slightly retro
Some reading might help.

I read this book multiple times as a young cyclist. I found it very useful.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/richard's-bicycle-book/

That was my bible too. I kept lending it to people and only sometimes getting it back, meaning I had to buy it again. I think I had copies of every edition over time. I currently should own two - the paperback and the large-format New Bicycle Book - but I can't find either. Looking back, it's all a bit hippy-warrior and right-on, but it's written with such knowledge and enthusiasm that you forgive him anything.

Lovacott

Über Member
:shy:I'm a female. I got my bike on the 22nd of july 2020, I cycle quite regularly- 3-5 times a week. I really don't want to pay for gym membership because the cycling is already expensive enough- with kit, accessories, maintenance etc.
You've been riding for just over eight weeks so you will have noticed some difference but if you keep it up, you will see significant gains over the next six months.

I've been cycling 100 miles a week since March and commuting over hills for four and a half months. The ride doesn't seem any easier but my commute time has dropped by over 30% since day one for the same level of effort. The main gain has been in my speed up the hills but I still wouldn't describe myself as anywhere near quick. I've gained leg muscle, reduced my resting heart rate and I can get to the top of the biggest climb without my lungs bursting. I've now set myself a target of reducing my commute time by one minute per week and I reckon I can do it by working even harder on the hills.

As for cost, you will spend a lot on bits and bobs to start with like helmets, lights, racks, panniers etc. but that will taper off over time.

Maintenance is something you can do yourself and there has never been so much information readily available online on how to carry out any job on a bike. Go online, watch a video on how to fix any particular problem and without any prior knowledge or skills, fix the problem.

Bike mending is a hobby in itself and if you do it yourself, you will learn to understand your bike so much better and your riding will improve as a result.

A long time ago I was given this advice. It's a bit crude, but it may work for you:

If your legs are OK but your lungs are bursting, your gear is too low - change up.
If your legs are hurting but you are not out of breath, your gear is too high - change down.
And in my case when you've got aching legs and bursting lungs I get off and walk. Next big birthday will be my 80th so I excuse myself.:whistle:

Top Bottom